The Cubs Outfield situation

Discussion in 'Chicago Cubs' started by Kyreal, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Kyreal Franchise Player Ravens

The Cubs won the World Series in 2016 because of really good pitching and outstanding team defense. We all know their young hitters have tons of potential and are already formidable, but their outfield defense (not including JHey) has been dreadful.

Having Kyle Schwarber in LF is a defensive disaster and not playing Almora every day in CF to make sure that Ian Happ's bat is in the lineup also weakens CF.

I love Kyle's power but I believe he has to be moved at the trade deadline this year for a strong bullpen pitcher so that Happ can move to LF and Almora can finally be the full time CF.

What are your thoughts?

Willie likes this.
  2. Willie Head Coach Manager News & Notes Vikings

The only one in the outfield hitting right now is Heyward, Happ a little bit and that's not good either, so they are not real good defensively and cant hit very well right now. I agree Alomar Jr, should get the gig in center. I think Shwarber' power is what they are banking on, but I doubt he hits for average. Kind of a mess right now, but they are just getting home and its early.

Those are just some thoughts off the top of my head and i'll admit I don't follow them as closely as I should or would like. But getting in some home games and warmer weather, Rizzo gets his back straightened out, find some pitching... they will get it going and be there at the end.

I think they will compete, but as you eluded to they are a bit of a project in the outfield. Maybe Zobrist could do some outfield patrols also, but I think they need to make a move also.

Anyway, your scenario as stated above does make good sense, but I cant see them giving up on him just yet.

Kyreal likes this.