Tony Stewart reaches settlement in the wrongful death suit of Kevin Ward...

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Catfish, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Catfish Guest

2. Underdog Franchise Player Patriots

Nothing can bring back a loved one that's too fucking stupid not to walk out onto a dirt track in front of a car with no brakes to start a fight. But at least he didn't further pollute the gene pool before he died.

If I was Stewart I'd've gone to my grave before I ever paid them a penny. I wouldn't care if it bankrupted me in legal fees.

3. Catfish Guest

yeah but how many times in NASCAR do you see these drivers get out of their cars near the infield to go after cars? in some cases they throw their helmets at the other cars. Did Stewart mean to hit Ward? No one can prove that, but could he have avoided him to avoid him dying? No one knows that either, but the ruling here is leaning towards that.

They all have a death sentence the moment you get out of the car unless it's in the winner's circle or the garage.

4. Underdog Franchise Player Patriots

Stock cars have brakes and are on pavement. Totally different animal from sprint cars.

Catfish likes this.
  5. Underdog Franchise Player Patriots

There's no ruling here leaning toward anything...this is Stewart cutting a check now to avoid having to cut a bigger one later if a jury leaned enough toward Ward's family's engineer's report over Stewart's engineer's report. There will be no admission of any wrongdoing and Ward's family will be forced to take their money and hush.

Catfish likes this.
  6. Catfish Guest

really? how do sprint cars stop ? I thought all racing cars had brakes. I'm not getting into anything without brakes. I learned my lesson going down a icy hill in the 80's on a Flexible Flyer sled. Fuck that. I jumped off as I was heading towards some trees. My 4 older brothers, who watered the hill, beforehand laughed at me as I didn't know it was all iced up. It was like a luge track right into the trees!

[​IMG]

Ward was out of his mind trying to go near an oncoming Stewart, but he shouldn't die for that either. I'm sure Stewart didn't think he would die for the impact of his car clipping him either. Maybe a little mud on him, but not injuries relating to his death.

7. Catfish Guest

fair enough. sad it had to come to this and Ward getting out of his car in the first place.

8. Underdog Franchise Player Patriots

Sprint cars are geared totally differently...they have to be pushed until they get up to like 40 MPH before they'll stay running. You stop them basically by stalling the engine and letting friction do its thing. Throttling the engine and steering was about the only shot Stewart had at avoiding hitting Ward.

Catfish likes this.
  9. Catfish Guest

wow-that's nuts u dog. thanks for the info. not only did stewart had to do this to avoid hitting him, he had nanoseconds to do it in too. yeah, that's a different side of the story.