Bills 2017

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bills' started by KilkennyDan, Jan 12, 2017.

1. LAOJoe Hall-of-Fame Staff Member Head Official Maple Leafs Eagles

EJ Gaines is now hurt.

2. KilkennyDan Let's Go Buffalo! Patreon Champion Sabres Bills Kilkenny

In the last few years it cannot be claimed that the Bills were particularly bad at drafting. They built an impressive roster of talent.

The team has had such a round robin of personnel in the FO and at coaching, that they've never been able to establish that talent in a coherent sense. So, the Bills invested a 2nd for Reggie Ragland in 2016, (probably an excellent value as he was projected as a 1st rounder). However, the new coach comes in with a complete change in defensive scheme, and Reggie looked lost. So, the Bills trade him to KC for a 4th; they recover some value vs. and outright release. But turning 2nds into 4ths makes the team poorer. They saw a similar diminished return for Sammy Watkins.

The reason that the Bills have been spinning their wheels at +/-1 .500 football for the last few seasons is because they don't know how to build a team in a consistent fashion. They're lurching around and they suck for it. This year they may get out of their rut and really break out - no, not another 7-9 or 8-8 season! This year the Bills may finish 3-13.

Tim likes this.
  3. skinny123 Legend Maple Leafs

Almost had it.

4. KilkennyDan Let's Go Buffalo! Patreon Champion Sabres Bills Kilkenny

Another big name is heading out of Buffalo. Marcell Darius is headed to the Jags. We do not know the return.

The Bills already have more wins than I expected for this season. I am extremely impressed with the new coaching staff. They're a real breath of fresh air compared to the farcical atmosphere around the team for almost two decades. If the new FO acquits themselves as well as the coaches with all the draft picks then this team may finally turn the corner.

5. skinny123 Legend Maple Leafs

6. SPress Franchise Player Patriots

Bills look good

7. skinny123 Legend Maple Leafs

8. KilkennyDan Let's Go Buffalo! Patreon Champion Sabres Bills Kilkenny

What the Bills lacked under Rex seems to be a team strength this season. Last year's team was perhaps good enough for 11 wins - on paper. A lack of focus and an utter disdain for discipline doomed them to another year of futility.

The new coaching and FO have made it clear from day one that they wanted things their certain way. There would be no tolerance for malcontents regardless of draft pedigree. It looks like the team is getting, and embracing that message. Today, it was an all-around team victory and it appears as each player had his head in the game for 60 minutes. Nice.

There are still too many question marks with the team at key positions to expect much. But, they are starting to look like a playoff contender. With a bunch of picks next year, the Bills could be ready to finally get out of the deep rut they've dug into over the past decade.

9. skinny123 Legend Maple Leafs

Take the win dan, take the win.

10. KilkennyDan Let's Go Buffalo! Patreon Champion Sabres Bills Kilkenny

I am a Buffalo fan. It's been nearly a decade since the Sabres sniffed the postseason, and the Bills haven't been there this millennium. I'm tired of the Bills winning 7, 8, or 9 games/season. Real tired. I want them to play meaningful games. Literally, the last time that was the final game of the 2004 season against Pittsburgh. A win would have put them in the playoffs; the Steelers had their playoff seeding sewed up. Presumably, the motivated Bills should have found a way to beat the Steelers who were playing primarily to avoid injury. Ah, but Buffalo found away to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory that day. It all conditions Buffalo fans to not take one win a sign of victory.

Take the win? What does that really even mean? The 5th W of the season means absolutely nothing if the do not win at least 5 or 6 of the remaining 9. I take the team-win* as a sign of progress; it's encouraging. (* The O, D, & ST all played well today.) I'll be God damned, however, if I were to take any real satisfaction out of one win in October.

11. skinny123 Legend Maple Leafs

Take the win, 5-2 looks good, much better than 2-5, one week at a time.

12. KilkennyDan Let's Go Buffalo! Patreon Champion Sabres Bills Kilkenny

Skinny, I think the original message today reflects my appreciation for the direction the Bills are headed in. I am not making too little out of this W.

But, you are making way too much out of it IMO. The team has been winning 7-9 games/season for years. Not one of those wins means a damn thing. By itself, neither does this win today.

13. skinny123 Legend Maple Leafs

My basic message is to just enjoy it, chances are the season could end up being a bust, so, 5-2 looks good.

14. skinny123 Legend Maple Leafs

Oh boy, you're right Dan, 5-2 don't mean shit.

KilkennyDan likes this.
  15. KilkennyDan Let's Go Buffalo! Patreon Champion Sabres Bills Kilkenny

This was perhaps the most significant game the Bills played since the 20th century. With two games remaining against the Pats, the Bills could afford to lose one - possibly two - other games.

This could have been a statement game against a good team. Well, I guess the Bills did make a statement; just the wrong kind. There is basically no margin for error remaining for this team.

16. skinny123 Legend Maple Leafs

There's always that one game that puts you in your place. It tells you exactly where you stand, no bs. A home game is total salt in the wounds.

17. LAOJoe Hall-of-Fame Staff Member Head Official Maple Leafs Eagles

It's their first home loss but they have been figured out and are trending down.
    The good news is they are still in the playoffs if the season ended today. Only really 5 great AFC teams. The NFC has many more.

18. skinny123 Legend Maple Leafs

1-4, since they were 5-2.