Re: 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Friday, May 19

Pittsburgh @
Ottawa
8:00 PM ET

.............................................................................................  Lost my mind........................... I don't mind...

KilkennyDan wrote:
Catfish wrote:

i thought All=Pgh laid out a scenario on the other thread where Pitt could keep both MAF and Murray? It was a while ago, so I could be mistaken. Something about when Murray was called up makes him exempt from the LV expansion draft or something like that??

No, MM has played too many pro games, (NHL & AHL), he is expansion draft-eligible.  Since a team can only protect one G, and because MAF's NMC makes that decision for PIT, their choices are:
1) Protect MAF and see MM leave for Vegas as one of their first selections.
2) Protect MAF and then work out a deal for Vegas to select someone other than MM.
3) Get MAF to remove his NMC and then protect MM instead of MAF.
4) Get MAF to accept a trade to another team.
5) The Pens trade MM to another team, get an eDraft G as part of the return.

Option 1 seems the worst; Penz cannot let this happen.
Option 2 could get costly.
Option 3 seems unlikely simply because MAF has the leverage here and not the Pens.
Option 4 may be the best for all involved since the Pens keep what they really want (MM), and MAF has control over who he goes to.
Option 5 borders on desperation, so I discount the likelihood, but I'm sure most teams will be calling them about MM.

Chins up, Penz fans!  Your team is still in the hunt, and most everyone else's team is stewing in disgust, (especially the Sabres).  And, your situation is a heluva a lot better than MIN or ANA.

or buy him out

Gunga galunga

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Very true on the buyout.
Would be a $1.9 hit for the next 4 years though.

"We're not gonna lose quite as easy as we have in the past." -K. Lowe

Thumbs up Thumbs down

544 ( edited by mattymcgee55 05-19-17 08:26)

Ryan Johansen out for the remainder of the playoffs.
Leads the team in everything, they're foooked.

Thank you!: Will

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Penguins draw first blood... 1-0.

.............................................................................................  Lost my mind........................... I don't mind...

mattymcgee55 wrote:

Very true on the buyout.

one way or another I don't believe they lose Murray

Gunga galunga

Thumbs up Thumbs down

mattymcgee55 wrote:

Ryan Johansen out for the remainder of the playoffs.
Leads the team in everything, they're foooked.

that sucks.

seems like a good time to say 'F!' Kessler.

Gunga galunga

Thumbs up Thumbs down

all-pgh wrote:
mattymcgee55 wrote:

Very true on the buyout.

MM vs. MAF:
- Salary: for next two years MM is $2MM cheaper
- Both are G's that most teams would want, but despite draft pedigree, MM strikes one as more poised and consistent in net*. (* Not being consistent is MAF's biggest disappointing trait.)

It would be tough to negate the salary advantage, and stretch that out with a buyout. Giving away MAF would be a much better choice - and they'll get something; along the lines of a mid to low round pick. If the Pens retain salary in some fashion that'll go up.

If - and this is highly unlikely - the Pens trade MM they'll get a better return than what OTT got for Lehner. (A 1st plus the Sens dumped a bad contract.)  That would be appealing but they'd soon be hunting for a goalie.

No, expect MAF to switch teams before the eDraft.

Go Cornell Big Red - County Kilkenny - Go Cats!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Final - Penguins 3, Senators 2... series tied at 2.

Saturday, May 20

Nashville @
Anaheim
7:15 PM ET

all-pgh wrote:
mattymcgee55 wrote:

Very true on the buyout.

Ya, they can't. We'll see how it goes down but I assume JR already knows.
Maybe they could even trade MAF directly to Vegas, protect Murray, and allow Vegas to pluck a different non-protected roster player.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Murray's money in the playoffs.

You never would've been in that position in the first place, if you didn't put yourself in that position.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Johansen being out for the Preds is so awful. I hate to see a series potentially turned to one side because of an injury, and a team go home when they were playing so well. I've loved what Nashville has been doing. I don't know that they can make up for the loss. What a bummer.

I didn't get to see the game last night - did Murray play? Did he start? I'm sure that wasn't without drama.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MM played and played well. Made a 3 shot series of saves about a minute and half into it and he stayed like that for the most part.  3-2 Penz.

what's yer name, neighbor?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm reading a shit-tonne of articles about Karlsson being the leading candidate for the Smythe.  I know he's pretty, but c'mon, he ain't as pretty as a couple of titties.
http://i35.tinypic.com/j6sz6e.jpg

what's yer name, neighbor?

Thank you!: mattymcgee55, skinny123

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down