Re: Green released

85     Grimble, Xavier     TE     6-4     261    24    2     USC
81     James, Jesse     TE     6-7     261    22    3     Penn State
82     Johnson, David     TE     6-2     260    29    9     Arkansas State
87     Odom, Phazahn     TE     6-8     251    22    R     Fordham
80     Orndoff, Scott     TE     6-4     253    23    R     Pittsburgh

Every one of these guys would be more productive than Green was last season.  And I'm sure the Steelers will continue to bring in free agents to compete through the end of training camp - they have two starter-quality guys now, and one experienced backup.  All they need is two more guys they can trust as the #4 - one for the roster and one for the practice squad.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yes Gid, I would not ever try to equate a veteran to a rookie, as you must have been thinking. I was only saying the NFL is, has been and always will be a rotating door for players who come and go for all sorts of reasons.  When one leaves another arrives ... all with a chance to become NFL players.

Green was the 15th player selected in the 4th round of his year and as you know, that and subsequent rounds for 5th thru 7th have a lower chance of sticking with a team.

WEAKNESSES:  a raw player and likely would be a project at the position. He can struggle getting off the line of scrimmage and can give away his routes quickly when running them. He has a lot of negative aspects to his game, but the skills he lacks could be developed through coaching

This is description of Green and his physical comparatives are remarkably similar to Odoms.  Let's just take a wait and see attitude before any final analysis. 

LTS:
Every one of these guys would be more productive than Green was last season.  And I'm sure the Steelers will continue to bring in free agents to compete through the end of training camp - they have two starter-quality guys now, and one experienced backup.  All they need is two more guys they can trust as the #4 - one for the roster and one for the practice squad.

In Rooney's we trust   ;)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LoveTheSteelers wrote:

85     Grimble, Xavier     TE     6-4     261    24    2     USC
81     James, Jesse     TE     6-7     261    22    3     Penn State
82     Johnson, David     TE     6-2     260    29    9     Arkansas State
87     Odom, Phazahn     TE     6-8     251    22    R     Fordham
80     Orndoff, Scott     TE     6-4     253    23    R     Pittsburgh

James is the only one who can out produce Greens stats last season. Grimble possibly if he was the starter. I just wish we would have addressed TE in the draft. It's not like Greens status snuck up on them.

If it ain't Steel it ain't real!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gideon, you don't think any one of the 5 TEs currently on the roster can manage 18 receptions and 1 TD?

I think every one of them is capable of that level of production.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LoveTheSteelers wrote:

Gideon, you don't think any one of the 5 TEs currently on the roster can manage 18 receptions and 1 TD?

I don't think we have a TE on our roster that can replace Greens explosiveness. His average catch was pretty much an explosive play every time, 17 YPC.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sons kept saying to me last season, in regards to Green ... "what's the required ability?"

you know the rest ...

His potential for plays was staggering, his actual numbers are anemic compared to any of the TE's we currently employ and I bet LTS is right... we'll see a FA or two, and if we don't it will be because coaching and FO like what they have enough to settle.

Honestly Gid, I wouldn't want any TE that was available to replace either of our 3rd rounders.  I hope time will bear me out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MaineofSteel wrote:

Sons kept saying to me last season, in regards to Green ... "what's the required ability?"

you know the rest ...

His potential for plays was staggering, his actual numbers are anemic compared to any of the TE's we currently employ and I bet LTS is right... we'll see a FA or two, and if we don't it will be because coaching and FO like what they have enough to settle.

Honestly Gid, I wouldn't want any TE that was available to replace either of our 3rd rounders.  I hope time will bear me out.

I hear you Maine, but explosive plays by a TE are hard to come by. And with our WR talent the door would be open big time for that kind of TE.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

gidion72 wrote:
LoveTheSteelers wrote:

I don't think we have a TE on our roster that can replace Greens explosiveness. His average catch was pretty much an explosive play every time, 17 YPC.

That's fair, but with Martavis Bryant back he should help open things up for whichever TE the team decides to throw out there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LTS:
but with Martavis Bryant back

and this is our huge potential lifesaver ... Laderius, on his best day, is not as commanding a receiver as Martavius.  Would I like to have them both ? ...you'd better believe it, but if I had my choice between the two, Bryant gets the call every time .  Speaking of call ... has anyone heard from him for almost a week?  He worries me and will continue to do so for most likely the rest of his Steeler career.  If Mr. unreliable continues in this / his / vain (vein)  *HIGH* we're going to think rookie JuJu is the best pick we've made in a decade.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

:-* *sheesh*  ask and you'll receive ...
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/la … l-defined/

feeling better !

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's fair, but with Martavis Bryant back he should help open things up for whichever TE the team decides to throw out there.

If healthy, there isn't a secondary in the NFL that has two corners capable of playing straight man against both Brown and Bryant and doing well against them. Denver had THREE top corners two seasons ago and even they couldn't do it either time they played Pitt.

If you double both of them every play or even roll safeties on each play over the top against them, you are either going to leave a huge amount of space over the middle or underneath if one or both linebackers drop into coverage against any slot receiver or TE, OR..........you will only have 5-6 blockers in the box to stop the run................either way you're at a big disadvantage defensively.

As I've stated on several other posts.............Bryant back healthy, clean, and motivated (knock on wood) does more for this team on BOTH sides of the ball than any draft pick for any team in the league would have had. He's that much of a difference maker for us.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

27 ( edited by techheart 05-21-17 08:59)

....the kiss of death for green was playing the dirty bengals just before the playoffs as they actively seek to injure our players game in and game out ..... i wonder if we hadnt played them and if Green did well in playoffs if this wouldve happened .... probably not

turning page and excited to see how the team adapts without Green but this is definitely a blow imo, although i too feel a desire to spin it as otherwise

Techheart 3.0 = The Realist

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think not having Green stops us from winning the SB. But it does slow our offense down some. Our offense will be really good this season. I just believe a good pass receiving TE would have made our offense unstoppable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

gidion72 wrote:

I don't think not having Green stops us from winning the SB. But it does slow our offense down some. Our offense will be really good this season. I just believe a good pass receiving TE would have made our offense unstoppable.

those are my thoughts too Gid

also that i hope "attention photon warriors" Odom Phazahn is good

Techheart 3.0 = The Realist

Thumbs up Thumbs down

30 ( edited by MaineofSteel 05-22-17 09:34)

Gid:
I hear you Maine, but explosive plays by a TE are hard to come by. And with our WR talent the door would be open big time for that kind of TE.

so Gid and I were having  a conversation on out TE status with the release of Green.  He made valid points concerning Green's ability in comparison to our current roster of TE's left.  I agree completely that we lost a potential weapon of mass destruction with Green's release, but, as we said, if you can't get the weapon on the field it's just another potential, not actual.

Phazahn Odom has potential too, albeit rookie in nature.  He comes from a small school and has not faced competition like he will in camp and possibly in the NFL.  However, this video shows some great stuff, such as no fear across the middle, no fear in blocking schemes  ( look how many times he doesn't just block but actually knocks over LB's in the way) Green never had such aggressive blocking technique and he has numerous years in as a NFL player. and Phazahn's hands seem sure and at 6"-8" has as high a point as any in the NFL to snatch red zone et al passes.

The best thing about this time of year is potential.  He has my best hopes for potential great play.  Here's hoping that he can provide more TE depth with the loss of green.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index. … _odom.html

Thumbs up Thumbs down