Re: In Ozzie We Trust!!

For the record, I think TJ Watt could be the next Clay Matthews.  Has that LB versatility that Ozzie loves too.  Also being JJ's younger brother clearly speaks heavily for his football pedigree.  His game tape is very impressive.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Watt go slightly higher than predicted on draft day.  Currently, seeing him from pic 22 to 45-ish.  I'd be happy if he was a Raven - happier still if they traded back and got him.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the Divided States of America, and to the PACs, for which it stands, one nation, at odds, divisible, with Liberty and Justice for some." ~ Neil Degrasse Tyson

Tenacious Faulk wrote:

For the record, I think TJ Watt could be the next Clay Matthews.  Has that LB versatility that Ozzie loves too.  Also being JJ's younger brother clearly speaks heavily for his football pedigree.  His game tape is very impressive.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Watt go slightly higher than predicted on draft day.  Currently, seeing him from pic 22 to 45-ish.  I'd be happy if he was a Raven - happier still if they traded back and got him.

For me, a part of the reason I didn't like it is because Corey Davis was still on the board and I'm big on him and Williams (Williams more) in the first round.  So pure bias on my part.  Anyway, I also missed the 2nd round, but the draft looks like this thus far

1. TJ Watt
2.  Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster
3A. Ahkello Witherspoon
3B. Dan Feeney

For me, I'd have grabbed Davis in the 1st and Carl Lawson in the 2nd (he went 3 picks after Baltimore's pick).  There was a good run on CBs before the 3rd, and the top two options to me were Cordrea Tankersley and Witherspoon.  Since the CB won't need to be a day 1 starter, I went with Witherspoon off perceived potential, and the fact Tankersley seems like a holding/PI magnet in my short research.  Feeney I went with off pure athleticism but I'm told some feel he's specifically better for zone blocking, which we won't be running, so I potentially messed up that pick

Don't look now but the Ravens are coming........

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ravens_R_#1 wrote:
Tenacious Faulk wrote:

For me, a part of the reason I didn't like it is because Corey Davis was still on the board and I'm big on him and Williams (Williams more) in the first round.  So pure bias on my part.  Anyway, I also missed the 2nd round, but the draft looks like this thus far

1. TJ Watt
2.  Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster
3A. Ahkello Witherspoon
3B. Dan Feeney

For me, I'd have grabbed Davis in the 1st and Carl Lawson in the 2nd (he went 3 picks after Baltimore's pick).  There was a good run on CBs before the 3rd, and the top two options to me were Cordrea Tankersley and Witherspoon.  Since the CB won't need to be a day 1 starter, I went with Witherspoon off perceived potential, and the fact Tankersley seems like a holding/PI magnet in my short research.  Feeney I went with off pure athleticism but I'm told some feel he's specifically better for zone blocking, which we won't be running, so I potentially messed up that pick

In either case, these are not bad picks (your options or the ones handed you)  If I had the choice of Davis or Watt I might pick Davis too.  JJSS is also a good pick for our future for the opening in the slot.  Lawson has potential and traits that can't be taught.  He could be a future Pro-Bowler.  Feeney is more than just a zone blocker.  If he was he'd be mocked much lower than his ADP of 3(78).

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the Divided States of America, and to the PACs, for which it stands, one nation, at odds, divisible, with Liberty and Justice for some." ~ Neil Degrasse Tyson

Anyone headed to he draft?

Tenacious Faulk wrote:

Anyone headed to he draft?

The seat at home is quite comfortable. Would like to do it one day, though. Would rather attend at Radio City.

"I don't work well in teams. It's hard to be on a team when you're omnipotent." - Q, Star Trek Next Generation

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

This is a real "In Ozzie We Trust" situation:

I'm reading that the Ravens had two offers to trade back from #16.  The 49ers offered Ozzie their 2nd rounder (No. 34), 3rd rounder (No. 66) and 4th rounder (No. 121) to trade up for Reuben Foster.  Those picks yielded Cam Robinson, CB Akhello Witherspoon (Colorado) and RB Joe Williams (Utah) - all really talented players.  Ozzie countered asking for the 2nd rounder and both of their 3rd round picks (66 & 67).  Looking at the pick value chart, pick 16 was worth 1000pts, their offer was worth 872 and Ozzie's counter was 1075 - pretty far apart on both sides.  SF declined but still ended up with Foster at #31 anyway.  You might say they did San Fran a favor.

The other offer came from Dallas looking to trade up for Charles Harris.  I'm not sure what was offered, but it certainly wasn't what they tried to wrangle from the 49ers.  Dallas wasn't as fortunate as the 49ers in having their target fall to them.  They ended up targeting Takk McKinley, then settling on Taco Charlton.

Apparently, they deemed Marlon Humphrey worth keeping over a trove of picks that Ozzie would have seemingly taken and spun into gold in most other years.  We all know that Newsome hoards picks like an aging spinster hoards cats.  They really must have knew what type of talent Humphrey was to turn these offers away.

2,407 ( edited by ravens_R_#1 05-17-17 08:07)

Tenacious Faulk wrote:

Apparently, they deemed Marlon Humphrey worth keeping over a trove of picks that Ozzie would have seemingly taken and spun into gold in most other years.  We all know that Newsome hoards picks like an aging spinster hoards cats.  They really must have knew what type of talent Humphrey was to turn these offers away.

The last time Baltimore traded their first round pick for a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th was 2010.  That trade didn't really work out for the Ravens so I can't really act like the trade with San Fran was guaranteed to work out better.  Might have, might not have. Also can't assume Baltimore would have drafted those same exact players.

I'm happy with the draft they had as of now

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I can't believe anyone would be upset about the Ravens not trading with the 49ers.  I would have been ticked if they took that deal or the one Ozzie proposed.  You get a pick in the top half of the draft, and to walk away with 0 players in the first round would have been a colossal mistake and disappointment.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ravens_R_#1 wrote:
Tenacious Faulk wrote:

The last time Baltimore traded their first round pick for a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th was 2010.  That trade didn't really work out for the Ravens so I can't really act like the trade with San Fran was guaranteed to work out better.  Might have, might not have. Also can't assume Baltimore would have drafted those same exact players.

I'm happy with the draft they had as of now

Well if it came across that way, it wasn't my intention.  Remember, I mocked Humphrey to the Ravens and similarly couldn't find a trade partner willing to give me a fair deal to move back (tho' that was before Brandon Carr was signed).  I also wasn't trying to suggest that the selected players would've been Ravens targets.  Joe Williams off field character issues, for instance, I'm sure would've had him off our boards.  If Reuben Foster wasn't he was certainly way down so as to make him a zero risk pick. 

I was really just pointing out the offers that were made and the possible ramifications.  While the Steelers ended up with 3 players I really liked for the Ravens, to be clear, I actually do like what they did in the draft and am excited to see how these guys contribute.

Are the Ravens as an organization completely tone deaf?  This is now the second article I've seen written in glowing remembrance of Michael Jackson while completely ignoring the fact that he was driving so fast on his motorcycle that he drove through a car and killed a 20 year old girl.  Seeing those articles is just sickening and embarrassing.

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

Kid wrote:

Are the Ravens as an organization completely tone deaf?  This is now the second article I've seen written in glowing remembrance of Michael Jackson while completely ignoring the fact that he was driving so fast on his motorcycle that he drove through a car and killed a 20 year old girl.  Seeing those articles is just sickening and embarrassing.

Kid.  Don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel.   *BRAVO*

You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

jazznbluz wrote:
Kid wrote:

Kid.  Don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel.   *BRAVO*

haha someone needs to call them out.  We're not talking about some young dumb kid on a motorcycle like with Tray Walker where you think back to all the really stupid stuff you did and marvel at how you came out alive.  This is a 50 year old man who absolutely should have known better, and by being grossly negligent, he killed a 20 year old girl.  This is something the Ravens feel the need to celebrate on multiple occasions while barely uttering a sentence about the girl?

I'm usually a huge fan of Byrne's articles because of the inside insight we never get, but he looks like a buffoon here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I agree with Kid on this one.  Tray Walker was young and didn't know any better.  Jackson was more than twice his age, should have been twice as wise, and ended up killing someone else due to his own reckless decision.

Thumbs up Thumbs down