1 ( edited by KilkennyDan 01-13-17 08:42)

Topic: Bills 2017

I do not know enough about Sean McDermott yet to evaluate this hire. He has impressed me I'm a couple of indirect ways.

First, he has been described as the opposite of Rex Ryan. After two years of Rex's schtick, and an undisciplined and an underperforming team, I'm ready for a change.

He seems to be putting together a nice coaching staff. Word is he may bring in McCoy as OC. They have a history together and the Bills have some major question marks on O. (They also have some nice pieces and it may not be too hard to turn the unit around.)

They are likely to hire Leslie Frazer as DC. I know he disappointed as HC in MN, but I think he's a solid choice. The team will probably franchise CB Gilmore. They will have a nice infusion from the '16 draft that did not get on the field much this year. The D could rebound to the elite level they appeared to be until Rex, inexplicably, screwed things up.

I have not looked at the schedule yet, and I won't make a 2017 projection until then. Of course, how they handle the QB situation will be the biggest challenge in making this team a playoff contender.

Go Cornell Big Red - County Kilkenny - Go Cats!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Bills 2017

I think McDermott is a solid hiring. He learned under Jim Johnson in Philadelphia, then had to step into Johnson's shoes when JJ's health declined and he eventually passed away. He admittedly wasn't great in that capacity, but it seems like he continued to learn and develop in CArolina.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Bills claim defensive lineman Crichton off waivers from the Vikings...

.............................................................................................  Lost my mind........................... I don't mind...

http://live4sportnetwork.com/interview- … -ferguson/

"Kid, I wouldn't last five minutes leading an outfit like that if I wasn't as rotten as hell."

Tim's Website

Thank you!: KilkennyDan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, this oughta be interesting. Reports from Buffalo state that the entire Bills scouting staff is going to get fired - the week after the draft.

That should make for some interesting war room banter. "So, what do you have on this guy?"  In response: "'F!' you! I didn't like you when I liked you. Now I can't stand you, so you get gotz."

Might some team sabotage his player evals. so the team drafts poorly?

Oh, I don't like this one bit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's messed up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I read up on it and it all makes sense. They already have all the info from the scouts but this keeps the secrets in-house.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks, and while I could get online, I need a day to catch up.

I know the Bills have made a lot of moving, and my reaction based on second round picks is that I like it a lot. I know this class is deep at CB; still I hated passing on Lattimore. But that trade enabled them to get Z. Jones, which I hadn't expected.

Overall, it's the way the team built depth at key positions that makes me like their draft.

I'd love to hear the reactions/evaluations of those of you who follow the draft better than me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

9 ( edited by LAOJoe 04-30-17 12:57)

KilkennyDan wrote:

I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks, and while I could get online, I need a day to catch up.

I know the Bills have made a lot of moving, and my reaction based on second round picks is that I like it a lot. I know this class is deep at CB; still I hated passing on Lattimore. But that trade enabled them to get Z. Jones, which I hadn't expected.

Overall, it's the way the team built depth at key positions that makes me like their draft.

I'd love to hear the reactions/evaluations of those of you who follow the draft better than me.

I, like you, thought that they should have taken Lattimore BUT that was if they stayed at 10. Trading down and getting White a 3rd and a future 1st is big, although I wonder if trading with Houston may have been a better gamble. Wouldn't have gotten the 3rd but I'd bet on Houston finishing worse than the Chiefs next year. I'd have probably taken the trade down over Lattimore considering the talent at CB in the draft. The Bills traded up for Zay Jones and they probably had to. They may have gotten a later pick in return from the Rams than they would have liked in exchange for the 3rd they got from the Chiefs but they would likely lose that pick regardless to the Falcons on the trade up for Dion Dawkins. I really like that pick and I wonder if he might actually play RT than his projected G position. Milano was the Gillislee pick and he is a fine pick at LB, although that has to be a bit salty. I love the Peterman pick. The Bills got another developmental guy in case Taylor isn't the guy and at good value. Between them and Cardale there may be someone that steps up. Ironically it was the Matt Cassel pick. Vallejo is at least a special teamer I guess but it's the last pick and more LB competition. A little disappointed they didn't get a tight end.

Also the Bills fired their GM and entire scouting staff today so I am going to give extra bonus points for the trade back to get a future 1st. The owner and HC were likely in charge of final say in this draft and they likely didn't want to invest as heavily in this scouting groups' guys if they don't trust them to improve the team. It was a good draft and the Bills clearly had 2 things in mind here:

1. Trade back and get help for the new regime instead of trusting the current one.
2. Trade up aggressively with this year's picks to get certain key guys the coach and owner liked for sure. Again another trust issue with this current regime. They went hard for the few guys they were high on and probably knew most about that wasn't just a scout's opinion.

I can respect that and with the front office turnover this can't be labeled anything but a successful draft. Consider it draft #0 of the new regime. It isn't really the new one yet outside the coach and owner but is isn't completely not from the old one, although philosophy has definitely already shifted.

All in all I have to give this draft a B+, probably a A- considering the situation and how it was played.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-b … nfl-draft/

if you were going to fire the scouting dept and the gm - why let them near the draft? why let them scout players if you were going to fire them? i don't get that at all...

Thank God for Sports!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Catfish wrote:

if you were going to fire the scouting dept and the gm - why let them near the draft? why let them scout players if you were going to fire them? i don't get that at all...

If you fired them in January you are still using their notes but they can take your draft board and bring it to another team. Many teams make this move.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

LAOJoe wrote:
Catfish wrote:

If you fired them in January you are still using their notes but they can take your draft board and bring it to another team. Many teams make this move.

wouldn't that be illegal? make them sign a non-com form or something. but hey if you're saying it happens, then so be it. just thought it was an odd move.

Thank God for Sports!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Catfish wrote:
LAOJoe wrote:
Catfish wrote:

wouldn't that be illegal? make them sign a non-com form or something. but hey if you're saying it happens, then so be it. just thought it was an odd move.

Even if you don't say what they were going to do you still have their scouting reports.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

ok-i just thought since they worked for the bills, all property belongs to the bills-laptops, notes, binders, information etc.

doesn't matter now as the draft is over. good luck Buffalo on the season.

Thank God for Sports!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The Buffalo Bills added a veteran presence to a young cornerback corps.

The team announced it signed corner Shareece Wright. The 30-year-old corner started nine games for the Baltimore Ravens, but had his starting job usurped and was cut in March.

The Bills added first-round corner Tre'Davious White over the weekend to go along with third-year pro Ronald Darby.
Wright brings veteran insurance to Buffalo, but the seventh-year pro was burned often in Baltimore and is better versus the run than in coverage at this stage of his career.

.............................................................................................  Lost my mind........................... I don't mind...

Will's Website

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down