Re: 2016-17 NBA Season underway!

Interesting stuff from the Jazz GM about the refs' inability to call fouls on their offensive style properly:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43768436&nid=294

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow.

@WojVerticalNBA

Larry Bird is stepping down as Pacers president, league sources tell @TheVertical. Kevin Pritchard will take over basketball operations.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heh...remember when I thought the C's could give the 'Brons a series...good times...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And now no more Isaiah. Ugh.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sports. Go figure lol.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

lebron is not a mvp finalist. omg is this league a joke.

Baseball season is almost here !

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Westbrook, Harden, and Leonard being the three finalists is hardly a slap in the face to LeBron.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Underdog wrote:

Westbrook, Harden, and Leonard being the three finalists is hardly a slap in the face to LeBron.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lebro … candidate/

i know u dog but look at his body of work and it's hard to not say he's in the top 3 in the league.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

54 ( edited by Underdog Yesterday 01:21)

Sure there probably isn't a year since Lebron's been in the league that you couldn't make a very good case for him as the MVP. Way I see it there's a few things in play here:

1) He's already won it 4 times...a certain level of "greatness fatigue" sets in with voters for dominant players like Lebron where they will gravitate toward any other viable candidate.

2) The Cavs took their foot off the gas to rest for the playoffs and conceded the #1 seed and only won 51 games. The Spurs and Rockets won more and the Thunder only a few less, all in a much tougher conference.

3) Lebron has the best supporting cast of the four. Take Lebron off the Cavs and have them play to the wire in the East and they might still have been the #2 seed. Certainly no worse than #4. Spurs without Kawhi are still a playoff team but certainly not 60+ wins and #2 seed in the West. Rockets without Harden or Thunder without Russ are lottery teams.

4) The other three guys all had phenomenal, unquestionably MVP-level seasons, too. Historic seasons in Westbrook and Harden's cases, and Kawhi's offensive #'s are in the same ballpark as Lebron's while he's also pretty inarguably the best defensive player in the league.

In other words, yes, it's hard to say Lebron isn't in the top 3, but it's every bit as hard to say the other 3 guys aren't, either. It's hardly some gross miscarriage of the process for him to finish 4th to the years those guys had.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

55 ( edited by Underdog Yesterday 02:16)

And I don't buy the logic of that article that we should give Lebron bonus points for his regular season performance because he was saving himself for the playoffs. Not that I disagree with it necessarily, but at the end of the day it's a regular season award based on regular season performance, and he and his team made the choice to focus their energy on the postseason. Good for winning titles...for winning awards, maybe not so much.

I mean...if he had skipped 40 games instead of 8 and his numbers were otherwise similar and the Cavs were still steamrolling the EC in the playoffs, would the same logic still apply?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i don't think the cavs finish #2 without Lebron. He makes them all better. And if I had a choice of the 3 finalist and Lebron - give me Lebron any day of the week.

It's not my vote u dog. just thought it was interesting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

57 ( edited by Underdog Yesterday 05:07)

Yes, Lebron makes them all better, without question. That team is still pretty stacked without him, though.

If you're talking about which one to build your team around, sure you take Lebron. But the MVP discussion is which one had the best regular season this year. MVP and best player alive are not the same thing.

All good, though if it's just "interesting" now...you started off with the hot take that the league was a joke because he wasn't in the top 3 vote getters, though.  :D

Thumbs up Thumbs down