Re: Patrick Mahomes - Bears First Round Pick?

blang84 wrote:

I would agree. Except... Pace named him as the starter.
The key to that statement?
"Pace".
He's not the HC and he's not the OC.

It's possible that Pace discussed this with Fox and Loggains and got their blessing to name him the starter. Cuz you're right, the GM doesn't name starters. But given that we know that Fox/Pace seem to work very closely/well together, a point emphasized by George McCaskey several times, it is possible that this has already been agreed on by all parties.

Don't disagree.

But why announce it?

He was signed. So, no reason to appease him.

There is no upside at all.

Honestly, I think you have to read between the lines this time of year. Pace might just be finally figuring out how game is played...

I despise those self promoting twatwaffles -- Tuna

Thumbs up Thumbs down

17 ( edited by patg006 03-19-17 12:00)

patg seems to be in line with quite a few of these "experts", Thomas and Adams are both likely #2 / #3 in some order.

Yes, but I see Thomas far differently than the typical "experts."  They see him as a guy "with a ceiling as high as Miles Garrett, but a floor much lower than MG."

I see a 3-way threat, and I believe he has the athleticism to pull it off.  First is his ability to be flexible and go 5 tech.  He would play 5 tech in Stanford's 'finesse' offense, and he's got the build and the weight more than a normal 5 tech would.  Von Miller is 258 lbs.  Solomon Thomas is 275.  He could easily put on 10-15 lbs and line up with Hicks and Goldman on the Dline. 

Second is another force as an edge rusher.  Young, Floyd, Thomas, McPhee, Acho, and Houston.  That's a lot of speed in Young and Floyd and Power on top of that with McPhee and Thomas.

Third, and this kind of co-insides with 2nd--but he'd be also insurance if Pernell McPhee's knee just.....fails again.  I don't trust his knee to put in 16 games this year.  I wont be surprised if he gets 10 games.......

which brings up another thread topic:  what to do with McPhee, knowing he's not going to give you a full 16 going forward......what do you do if he only gives you 8-10 games this year?

This is breaking news from CNN...........or Fox..........or whatever--Fuck you

Thumbs up Thumbs down

which brings up another thread topic:  what to do with McPhee, knowing he's not going to give you a full 16 going forward......what do you do if he only gives you 8-10 games this year?

I'm kinda surprised he hasn't been cut already. But I guess we already have so many holes that paying who might give you half the snaps this year 8 million is worth it to Pace.

The guy i was really wondering about was Royal. Then I read this:

“The person I talked to a lot with was Eddie Royal,” Glennon said. “Eddie went to high school with my brother. They were roommates at Virginia Tech together. So I’ve known Eddie for 15 years now."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

wrote:

Draft Thomas at #3 and don't sweat If/when McPhee goes down after 8-10 games.

Fangio has made a turd sandwich of defensive personnel not look so......turd sandwichy  -Patg006-                      11-2015

Thumbs up Thumbs down

20 ( edited by Go Bearsssss 03-19-17 11:45)

Mongo_76 wrote:

I'm kinda surprised he hasn't been cut already. But I guess we already have so many holes that paying who might give you half the snaps this year 8 million is worth it to Pace.

“The person I talked to a lot with was Eddie Royal,” Glennon said. “Eddie went to high school with my brother. They were roommates at Virginia Tech together. So I’ve known Eddie for 15 years now."

I thought they already cut Eddie Royal.

I dont think Bears Brass has any faith in McPhee either but where they're at right now theres no reason to cut him.

I like Solomon Thomas a lot... But I've simply fallen in love with Allen. Sure its looking like a good safety would be available with our 2nd pick, but in my head i'm committing that to QB.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

21 ( edited by aggie16 03-19-17 01:26)

But given that we know that Fox/Pace seem to work very closely/well together

I used to think this but no so sure anymore.  I think Pace's conservative approach to free agency tells me he is in it for the long haul, but maybe not for Fox.  Fox isn't a guy who has shown a patience to build through the draft, which it is clear Pace is set on doing and the free agency signings show that.  Only a few low $$ long term contracts and a lot of 1 year prove it deals.  If the Bears have another disaster 5 win or less season next year, Fox will be the scapegoat and I believe Pace will be given a second HC hiring.  I also think Fox was brought in to bring stability after the Emery/JuiceBox disaster and wasn't fired this offseason because the Bears know they will suck in 2017 so instead of eating 2 years with Fox, they will only have to eat one and Pace will be able to hire the guy that he wants going forward.  Also believe that Fox was more of a McKaskey/Accorsi hire than it was Pace.  They knew Fox would stabilize things and bring back some sort of respect to a franchise that was embarrassed by Emery/Juice Box.  He helped to make things better but think Pace was told he would be shown patience and was told to rebuild from the ground up. 

They have been selling in the media that they were trying to win last year and next year they want to win as well but the moves do not suggest that.  They lost out in Free Agency in multiple bidding wars (on purpose in my opinion) and will rely heavily on the draft to provide help for next year.  No way if you need to win next year to keep your job you don't at least bring a couple of those big name guys.  They kept the interest out there to sound like they were trying but had no intention of spending big.  Pace's aggressiveness in the second wave free agents with one year deals tells me that was the plan.

This may sound like a conspiracy theory but it is my feeling after what I saw them put on the field last year and what the roster will look like next year. 

I'm not sure what the amount is but I believe the collective bargaining agreement you have to spend so much against the cap every season, you can't be to far under (a provision put in probably because of cheapskates like the McKaskey's).  The Bears still have plenty of money and cutting him would only force them to have to spend more to get to that number for next year.  Again, not positive on how that all works but I believe each team is required to spend 90% of money against the cap number each year.  Not sure what the penalty is either but probably is money you just have to give to the players somehow.

All indications were that he was going to be cut once healthy.  I'm not sure why that is but that was what I was reading.  The quote from Glennon is confusing because Kendall Wright was signed basically to play the position Royal plays, maybe they are keeping him as a returner?  Bears have a ton of money still so maybe they are just letting it play out.  No idea why you would keep Royal, he is a walking injury waiting to happen.

"It's time to man up and turn things around" - Kyle Long prior to win over Green Bay on Thanksgiving

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mongo_76 wrote:

Lots of time still, could be they want to see him in camp to see how the knee is holding up before cutting him.

"Can you imagine being stretched out over that tank? Oh momma I'm comin' home!!  Please I'm on my knees begging for mercy here ...are you guys all piling on me?" -BF Sep2013

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Bears had a private work-out with Mahomes the other day.

To me this is a good sign.

Again, no way I take him at #3. And no way he's there when we draft in the 2nd. So, if this is Pace's guy, look for a trade down.

Thumbs up Thumbs down