Re: 2017 NFL Draft the Wide Receivers

top dawg wrote:
IrishDawg42 wrote:
top dawg wrote:

Yeah, that seems to be the main concern.  How would you implement Samuel into the offense?  All I can say is, if Hue isn't qualified, who is? With this group of receivers coming in in 2017,   I rate Curtis Samuel right under the big 3 of Williams, Davis and Ross...

To pull a line from our coach, "I just want guys that can score the football"....Samuel creates mismatches everywhere.  Nothing against Juju, I like him too, but I don't think he brings that level of athleticism to the table...Very few can.

"Score the football"-
Samuel-7 receiving TDs in 2016
Smith-Schuster-10 receiving TDs in 2016

And yes, I realize Samuel also had 8 rushing TDs, but we already have Duke to play that role.

What we need, and I hope Britt can be him, is a possession receiver. Smith-Schuster fits that role to a T. That's the reason I prefer him over Samuel.

I hear ya Irish.  I like Smith-Schuster too...Your point is certainly valid.  I just think Samuel is so intriguing, I'd go with him...

What you are describing from Juju , sounds a lot like what they were saying Higgins was going to bring us...IMO there are a number of potential possession WR's in this draft, including a couple I listed here today....  There's nobody like Curtis Samuel.  We can probably agree on that...At the end of the day, does it really matter if our guy finishes the drive with a receiving score or a rushing score?

Believe me.  I understand why you and SAS would prefer Juju, in our situation. It makes perfect sense..But the potential to be a gamebreaker that Samuel brings, would be worth the risk for me...Anywhere after pick #40, Samuel becomes too valuable for me to pass up.   I doubt he falls that far...

I agree he's intriguing, but I don't see him taking rushing snaps from Duke Johnson if that's what you are eluding to, also the only reason I disagree with your take. If we didn't have Duke, then I would be in the same boat as you are..

Now if you are talking about replacing Duke Johnson, I can get on board...what are you getting in return for trading Duke? If you can garner a 3rd for Duke, then yes, I would be ok with trading for essentially a bigger, faster version of Duke Johnson.

Time to become relevant again in Cleveland...HERE WE GO BROWNIES, HERE WE GO, WOOF WOOF!!!

Thank you!: top dawg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well we don't have to agree, but Duke is a RB, and I don't think of Samuel as a RB at all......He may get three or four carries a game, but he is a new kind of weapon.  He is way more elusive than Duke Johnson IMO. I don't see them as being that comparable.....Plus, Duke gets hit harder than any back I've ever seen...He's like the RB version of RG3 sometimes.

I'd put Samuel in the slot...I'd have him running reverses...Occassionally taking pitches wide out of the backfield...but for the most part, he's a WR in the NFL....If Crow goes down, they wouldn't be counting on Samuel to pick up the rushing slack like they would Duke...

All in all, there are not many players I rate higher than Samuel based on potential...I can see him carving up NFL defenses.  There's not a LB or safety in the league that can stay with him...

let it ride

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just want to put this down here for some discussion later -

Zay Jones is my #1 prospect at WR in this draft class.

Meaning of life - "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women. "

Tim's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

19 ( edited by top dawg 03-17-17 08:24)

Tim wrote:

I noticed that in the first draft Tim. I was somewhat surprised that I took on more heat for taking Ross to the Bucs a couple picks later..lol! 

Nothing against Zay...I think he's a great prospect, but IMO you stickin your neck out a little bit on that one...But hey, I'll be the last one that ever argue's your prowess on WR evals.  Last year you were all over Michael Thomas as #1 WR...Props for that one.  Right under my little scarlet and gray nose....lol!  Hell, I had Braxton rated higher, which shows you what I know...

I still think Zay is crazy over Ross or Davis though...If proven wrong again, I will own it, you can trust me on that...

let it ride

Thank you!: Tim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not as bold as Tim on my WR projections, though I think ZAY is definately for real..., but if I'm gonna go out on a limb for a receiver in this draft, it's Samuel, and ya'll already know my reasons...I guess we can argue whether or not he's a true receiver, but he's my guy...Not a homer pick.  His freakish abilities are real. He's gonna be special.

Dark horse WR that nobody has mentioned yet on this thread;
http://image.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/lsu_impact/photo/19764396-mmmain.jpg
Malachi Dupre, WR - LSU
who knows where this guy would rank if he had a QB last year?

let it ride

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tim wrote:

He's the hot topic of the week....I still like Mike Williams and Smith-Schuster better...Not totally down on Corey Davis, but I'm not going to lie, the injury scares me a bit...

Time to become relevant again in Cleveland...HERE WE GO BROWNIES, HERE WE GO, WOOF WOOF!!!

Thank you!: Tim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

22 ( edited by top dawg 03-18-17 09:37)

IrishDawg42 wrote:
Tim wrote:

He's the hot topic of the week....I still like Mike Williams and Smith-Schuster better...Not totally down on Corey Davis, but I'm not going to lie, the injury scares me a bit...

The injury shouldn't worry you.....It was expected that his ankle surgery would take him out of the combine and pro day..  IMO,  Corey Davis is still the best receiver in this draft...The scouts will get to fill in the blanks in April.  I will be very surprised if the first WR selected isn't Davis...Though if one does come off the board before Corey, it wouldn't shock me if it was John Ross...

let it ride

Thumbs up Thumbs down

IrishDawg42 wrote:
Tim wrote:

I've had him listed there prior to the combine going back to around the second week of February and I mocked him to Tennessee at 18 the Thursday before. His athletic testing confirmed for me what I see on tape. His floor would be high end possession receiver but his ceiling is probably the highest in this receiver class. Get him in the right offense and he will be able to take over games early in his career.

With Smith-Shuster, I think the Anquan Boldin reference that I see is interesting. I think JuJu makes a good complimentary player/chain mover and I agree that the Browns could use that across from a healthy Coleman.

Mike Williams actually reminds me quite a bit of a player the Browns just signed when he was coming out of college. The frame is there and I think his ability to adjust combined with his body control is being undersold. The thing that I was most interested for at his pro day would have been the shuttle and 3 cone as I don't see Williams consistently beating NFL corners with his feet.

Meaning of life - "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women. "

Tim's Website

Thank you!: IrishDawg42

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Wide Receivers

In 2016 we took:

1-15: Corey Coleman
4-114: Ricardo Louis
4-138: Seth DeValve
5-154: Jordan Payton
5-172: Rashard Higgins

With the exception of DeValve, all those guys were multi-year starters who were productive at the NCAA level.  But none of them, save Coleman, were highly drafted. 

Louis, it could be argued, was over-drafted since many analysts thought he'd have to make a position change to the secondary since his hands were so bad... and he was the best one of the group.  He was also the least productive in college and most of a "project" of the group.

Then, I think about Terrelle Pryor was far from a finished product as a wide receiver, but had a career season.  Again, he was 100-percent projection.

When they put their stock in college production, it's simply not translating to the NFL yet.  Whereas the projection guys or physical specimens are having some success - likely because they're measurables help adjust to the NFL game more than a guy who may be limited physically but refined from a technique standpoint (the "Brian Robiskie Effect"). 

If this regime is as smart as they think they are and they're learning from mistakes, taking a WR this year means they should go for the guy who looks great in shorts and runs like the wind.

That might be Noah Brown.

http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/campusrush-migration/image_files/8001745-980x.jpg

More of a prophet, less of a poster.™  #TeamCody

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

25 ( edited by top dawg 03-20-17 01:36)

http://www.csnchicago.com/sites/csnchicago/files/styles/article_hero_image/public/2017/01/05/chris-godwin-0105.jpg?itok=2A9wZipN
CHRIS GODWIN, WR - PENN ST.
per NFL.com
The Delaware Gatorade High School Player of the Year in 2013 (state-record 18 touchdowns as a senior, 15 career return touchdowns) has helped Penn State make national headlines for the right reasons over the past three years. Rod Christopher Godwin contributed immediately for the Nittany Lions, starting three games (25-321, two TDs). He had a breakout sophomore season, earning third-team All-Big Ten honors with 69 catches for 1,101 yards and five scores. Though some of his receiving numbers were down in an honorable mention all-conference junior year (59-982), Godwin scored a career-high 11 times. He saved the best performances in his career for bowl games, first as a freshman (7-140, TD vs. Boston College in Pinstripe Bowl), then in 2015 (6-133 vs. Georgia in TaxSlayer.com Bowl) and finally in his last college game (9-187, 2 TDs vs. USC in the Rose Bowl).

btw: That's Adoree Jackson he's waving the ball at in the photo...So Cal had no answer for Godwin in that Rose Bowl.

let it ride

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watching more film on Trubisky.  #3 (Ryan Switzer) keeps jumping out at me.  At 5'8" and 181 pounds, he's not going to be a premier guy at the NFL level, but he's ideally suited to the slot (a need for us) and was prolific as a punt returner (a huge need for us).

https://media.giphy.com/media/9B32hzctaZIIg/giphy.gif

He should be available at or around our last three picks (180-range).  Would be a good pick up for us.

Would also have an immediate rapport with our new QB.

+ show spoiler

Hint: This guy. 

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/976/166/26_5166976.jpg

Thank you!: top dawg, Tim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

#Clutch

https://media.giphy.com/media/zUjNHb2bSSsCc/giphy.gif

Who's that on the reception end?  Oh, just #3 again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trubisky to Switzer.  Killing that #12 FSU defense.

https://media.giphy.com/media/OBYrDMBcsJIdi/giphy.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have been saying Stewart for a long time....also watch out for Josh Malone

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SAS wrote:

Trubisky to Switzer.  Killing that #12 FSU defense.

https://media.giphy.com/media/OBYrDMBcsJIdi/giphy.gif

#24 didn't play after that game...he had a bad hip injury and they kept him out there...he was getting abused all game vs Switzer in the slot....bad coaching on their part hence the last second loss...smh

Thank you!: Lyman

Thumbs up Thumbs down