Re: TRUMP!!!

Well, that's a very well-thought out argument -   "You're so stupid..."

Thank you for your proving my point that you're incapable of having a political debate.

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

Interesting ... is this the reality of traveling to the States now? I'm leaving for Florida on Sunday but I have to say that my first instinct is to cancel my trip. I can see a full boycott to the States happening at some point. There is more and more talk of it on social media.

Australian children's author Mem Fox detained by US border control: 'I sobbed like a baby'

Mem Fox
The experience left Fox feeling like she had been ‘physically assaulted’. Photograph: Sydney Writers Festival

Bonnie Malkin
@bonniemalkin

Saturday 25 February 2017 02.38 GMT
Last modified on Saturday 25 February 2017 12.10 GMT

The Australian children’s book author Mem Fox has suggested she might never return to the US after she was detained and insulted by border control agents at Los Angeles airport.

Fox, who is famous worldwide for her best-selling books including Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes and Possum Magic, was en route to a conference in Milwaukee earlier this month when she was stopped.
British Muslim teacher denied entry to US on school trip
Read more

She told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation she was questioned by border agents for two hours in front of a room full of people – an experience that left her feeling like she had been physically assaulted.

“I have never in my life been spoken to with such insolence, treated with such disdain, with so many insults and with so much gratuitous impoliteness,” Fox said.

“I felt like I had been physically assaulted which is why, when I got to my hotel room, I completely collapsed and sobbed like a baby, and I’m 70 years old.”

The author attributed the aggressive questioning to border police who had been “turbocharged” by Donald Trump’s proposed travel ban.

Fox said she was questioned over her visa, despite having travelled to America 116 times before without incident. She was eventually granted access to the country.

After lodging a complaint over her treatment with the Australian embassy in Washington and the US embassy in Canberra, Fox received an emailed apology from US officials.

Fox said she was shocked by her treatment and “couldn’t imagine” returning to the US.

Fox has written more than 30 children’s books, including the hits Where is the Green Sheep? and Time for Bed. Possum Magic has sold more than three million copies and is the bestselling picture book in Australian history.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 … ike-a-baby

Muhammad Ali Jr. detained by immigration officials at Fla. airport

USA Today Network Danielle Lerner, The (Louisville) Courier-Journal Published 8:00 p.m. ET Feb. 24, 2017 | Updated 1 hour ago

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was detained for hours by immigration officials earlier this month at a Florida airport, according to a family friend.

Muhammad Ali Jr., 44, and his mother, Khalilah Camacho-Ali, the second wife of Muhammad Ali, were arriving at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Feb. 7 after returning from speaking at a Black History Month event in Montego Bay, Jamaica. They were pulled aside while going through customs because of their Arabic-sounding names, according to family friend and lawyer Chris Mancini.

Immigration officials let Camacho-Ali go after she showed them a photo of herself with her ex-husband, but her son did not have such a photo and wasn't as lucky. Mancini said officials held and questioned Ali Jr. for nearly two hours, repeatedly asking him, "Where did you get your name from?" and "Are you Muslim?"

When Ali Jr. responded that yes, he is a Muslim, the officers kept questioning him about his religion and where he was born. Ali Jr. was born in Philadelphia in 1972 and holds a U.S. passport.

Reached for comment via email Friday, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection wrote, "Due to the restrictions of the Privacy Act, U.S. Customs and Border Protection cannot discuss individual travelers; however, all international travelers arriving in the U.S. are subject to CBP inspection."

“To the Ali family, it's crystal clear that this is directly linked to Mr. Trump's efforts to ban Muslims from the United States.”
Family friend and lawyer Chris Mancini

The line of questioning is indicative of profiling and designed to produce answers that corroborate what officials want to hear, Mancini said. Neither Camacho-Ali nor Ali Jr. have ever been subjected to detainment before, despite extensive global travel experience, he said.

"To the Ali family, it's crystal clear that this is directly linked to Mr. Trump's efforts to ban Muslims from the United States," Mancini said, referring to President Trump's executive order signed Jan. 27 that instituted a ban for citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries.

Officials at the Fort Lauderdale airport did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.

Camacho-Ali and Ali Jr. live in Deerfield Beach, Fla., a 20-minute drive from the airport. While Ali Jr. was detained, Camacho-Ali ran around the airport asking, "Where's my son?" and begging for help, according to Mancini. Because incidents involving customs officials are considered to be on federal soil, local police had no jurisdiction to help her. Ali Jr. was eventually released two hours later, and the family contacted Mancini the following day.

Mancini said he and the Ali family are contemplating filing a federal lawsuit and are currently trying to find out how many other people have been subjected to the same treatment as Ali Jr.

"Imagine walking into an airport and being asked about your religion," he said. "This is classic customs profiling."

Blow up the McCaskeys!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think of myself as a pretty progressive person.  Somebody who empathizes with people who feel discriminated against.  However, I can't help but lean a bit towards the conservative side of this issue.

I think the decision should be left solely up to (non-trans) women. As a man, I don't give two shits who is in the bathroom when I'm in there. My old job in a centrally-located Washington DC office, the cleaning lady would unashamadely enter the bathroom when several of us were in there to begin doing her job. No one cared.

If non-trans women feel uncomfortable about trans-women sharing their bathrooms, then I respect that. If non-trans women don't care, then great, this becomes a non-issue.

burn Halas Hall to the ground

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

blang84 wrote:

I think of myself as a pretty progressive person.  Somebody who empathizes with people who feel discriminated against.  However, I can't help but lean a bit towards the conservative side of this issue.

I think the decision should be left solely up to (non-trans) women. As a man, I don't give two shits who is in the bathroom when I'm in there. My old job in a centrally-located Washington DC office, the cleaning lady would unashamadely enter the bathroom when several of us were in there to begin doing her job. No one cared.

If non-trans women feel uncomfortable about trans-women sharing their bathrooms, then I respect that. If non-trans women don't care, then great, this becomes a non-issue.

This pretty much sums up my take. But I would place emphasis on "this becomes a non-issue."  That is future-tense; we may get to this point in society, but we do not know that we're there yet. Do not railroad this through the legislative process because laws do not make things right. Of the people, by the people, and for the people. Right now the majority of the people are either opposed or undecided. The issue simply requires more time than what some seem to think.

Go Cornell Big Red - County Kilkenny - Go Cats!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

KilkennyDan wrote:
blang84 wrote:

This pretty much sums up my take. But I would place emphasis on "this becomes a non-issue."  That is future-tense; we may get to this point in society, but we do not know that we're there yet. Do not railroad this through the legislative process because laws do not make things right. Of the people, by the people, and for the people. Right now the majority of the people are either opposed or undecided. The issue simply requires more time than what some seem to think.

I think that the real issue is children being literally "exposed" to something that they should not be exposed to and secondly the effect on women's sports teams down the road when transgendered "women" take things over.

NOMINATE ELIZABETH WARREN AS DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE FOR 2020.......PLEASE:):):)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, Al, that could be an unintended consequence of this policy.  All the more reason for it to be fully aired in the public square rather than this hellbent rush to foist upon society.

I have seen the disturbing stats regarding transgendered people, (suicide rate, etc.).  I do not wish to silence their voice. But, they are not the only voice with legitimate rights on this matter. In the long run everyone will be better served if a proper discourse occurs before settling on public policy.

Go Cornell Big Red - County Kilkenny - Go Cats!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

KilkennyDan wrote:

Yes, Al, that could be an unintended consequence of this policy.  All the more reason for it to be fully aired in the public square rather than this hellbent rush to foist upon society.

I have seen the disturbing stats regarding transgendered people, (suicide rate, etc.).  I do not wish to silence their voice. But, they are not the only voice with legitimate rights on this matter. In the long run everyone will be better served if a proper discourse occurs before settling on public policy.

That is right. I don't want to hurt anyone either. I just think that there could be a middle ground that would deal with everyone's rights in a fair way.

NOMINATE ELIZABETH WARREN AS DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE FOR 2020.......PLEASE:):):)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MORE golfing by Trump. Thought he tweeted out that, if elected, he wouldn't have time to golf. What a liar - 10 golf outings in 8 weeks as President.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/19/politics/ … index.html

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down