106 ( edited by jazznbluz 03-16-17 10:51)

Re: 2017 Season

I still like Mangold as a possible FA signing.

From ProFootballRumors.com:

"The Ravens traded center Jeremy Zuttah earlier today, but they haven’t made contact with free agent pivot Nick Mangold as of yet, tweets Jeff Zriebec of the Baltimore Sun. Instead, Baltimore is likely to turn over center to internal option John Urschel, or look for another free agent on the open market. While contending clubs were expected to pursue Mangold, he hasn’t drawn any known interest so far this offseason. Teams are reportedly asking the 33-year-old if he’s willing to shift to guard."

Life is short, so smile while you still have teeth.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Putting in Urschel at Center is going to be Gino Gradkowski levels of awful this coming season.  Urschel is smaller than Zuttah and when Urschel was drafted, we were doing a Kubiak zone rushing attack as opposed to whatever ineffective nonsense we have now.  I agree that Urschel has the smarts to play center, but that didn't help on the field last year.  If I had to pick between the two, I'd take Zuttah and his cap hit all day right now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

108 ( edited by Tenacious Faulk 03-16-17 11:59)

jazznbluz wrote:

I still like Mangold as a possible FA signing.

From ProFootballRumors.com:

"The Ravens traded center Jeremy Zuttah earlier today, but they haven’t made contact with free agent pivot Nick Mangold as of yet, tweets Jeff Zriebec of the Baltimore Sun. Instead, Baltimore is likely to turn over center to internal option John Urschel, or look for another free agent on the open market. While contending clubs were expected to pursue Mangold, he hasn’t drawn any known interest so far this offseason. Teams are reportedly asking the 33-year-old if he’s willing to shift to guard."

I don't think that given our need that the Ravens would be asking Mangold to shift guard.  We have those in spades.  What we need is a true center.  There must be something else that's making the Ravens and other teams hesitant on him (asking too much for his age, undisclosed injury, etc).  Trading Zuttah for swapping 6th rd pick was the right thing even if it leaves a hole for now.  They moved up from the pick 198 to 186 (2nd pick of rd6) .  Considering that we gave up a 5th rd pick in 2015 and got 3 yrs out of him then got rid of bad baggage that fits better in SF anyway it's about the best they could do.

I also agree with BaltSportsfan that the Ravens do tens to draft well at OL, DL and LB and they pay off dividends in years to to come, but not usually in year-one.  They may contribute but are rarely dominant enough to take us to the playoffs.  Relying a rookie to immediately become a full time starter is the realm of a top 10 pick (give or take).  The risk of failure only increases from that point for a host of reasons. 

We know Ozzie's formula of filling as many holes in the roster in FA before going into the draft, then tweaks it if need be by acquiring new FAs in pre-season cuts.  I don't think we've seen the last of FA signings or possibly a trade bringing in player we need.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the Divided States of America, and to the PACs, for which it stands, one nation, at odds, divisible, with Liberty and Justice for some." ~ Neil Degrasse Tyson

Also, it appears that the Ravens have made an offer of about $5M to Claiborne, but he wants more like $7.5M.  No one else is offering him that much and he's thinking that he can command a deal liek what Chicago gave Prince Amukamura.  I hope they take this as a que to break off negotiations now and look elsewhere.  Untapped potential does not equal future production.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the Divided States of America, and to the PACs, for which it stands, one nation, at odds, divisible, with Liberty and Justice for some." ~ Neil Degrasse Tyson

Tenacious Faulk wrote:

Also, it appears that the Ravens have made an offer of about $5M to Claiborne, but he wants more like $7.5M.  No one else is offering him that much and he's thinking that he can command a deal liek what Chicago gave Prince Amukamura.  I hope they take this as a que to break off negotiations now and look elsewhere.  Untapped potential does not equal future production.

I find this perfectly acceptable.  If they have identified a price point for Claiborne, and they stick to it then I have no beef with it.  If they start to break down and raise the offer then it reeks of desperation, but if they think he is "worth" (none of them are worth the money they get) 5 mil and they stick to their guns and say take it or leave it, then I am actually pretty comfortable with that.

If he takes it, then a pretty decent deal for the team and if not, then they will spend that money elsewhere, but at least they won't up the offer and throw more money away after a player they did not think was worth more.

"Well, if that guy at the table over there is Sea Bass..."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well it appears the point is moot.  The Ravens went the other direction and signed a deal with Brandon Carr.  How's that for an answer to Claiborne? 

I like Carr better as a #2 to Jimmy.  He's bigger and more durable.  The deal reportedly is effectively a 1 year deal with series of options to potentially make it a 4yr/$24M.  Depending on the break down it may end up a 2 yr deal depending on performance.

Well there's a curveball for you.  I honestly didn't think Brandon Carr was an option.  Especially not for 1M more than they reportedly wanted to give Claiborne

Don't look now but the Ravens are coming........

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Now I need the Ravens to trade up in the 3rd and grab Sidney Jones for future CB insurance

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Just checked back on Carr's stats.  He hasn't missed a game yet.  He has 15 INTs over his career but just 1 in the last 3yrs.  Could be scheme, but I haven't seen enough Dallas games to know.  I don't see that he was in the Combine, but nfldraftscout.com has him with a 4.43-40 and a 35" vertical.   

I also think that using a 3rd rd pick for Jones would be wise for the future.  The question then is who do they take with their 1st round pick?  The have NT, CB and Free Safety locked down now.  They need a OL help, pass rusher, receiver and a RB.

There's a lot of speculation that Baltimore goes WR, ILB, or pass rusher in the first (aka the big needs).

I think ILB would be a waste as this regime as proven they can find quality at that position.  A few of the players to start next to a first round ILB since we switched to the 3-4 we're all undrafted (Scott, McClain, Ellerbe, and Orr).  With that kind of consistency, I don't even think about drafting one in the 1st.

My money is all in on WR now.  I'm hoping Ross flies up someone's draft board (like the Bills) and he goes first or even second, leaving Corey Davis (my first choice) or Mike Williams to fall to Baltimore. 

Pass rusher is an option, but I'm the type that wants a team to give their draft picks a chance.  Kaufusi hasn't had a shot yet as a 3rd rounder, he should replace Guy.  Judon looked good rushing the QB also.  If this revamped secondary can cover for one second more than last year, the pass rush should get to QBs

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The fact that Carr played out an entire NFL free agent contract for a team that didn't draft him should tell you all you need to know about his play on the field.  The Cowboys obviously would have wanted to go cheaper and younger each year, but Carr managed to play out the whole deal.  I think it's a good move.

Again though, all the real currency has gone to the defense in building this team yet again.  There is no excuse for the Ravens to not get aggressive and go offense in the first round.  Either you go get a WR, or you take the TE and make damn sure you actually use his skills.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Center,  Right Tackle and a Guard are needed on the offensive line this year.

Alex can obviously move out to Right tackle and then the cheaper options are finding interior linemen, although Center will be the big elephant in the room till it gets filled.

Brandon Carr is 30 years old,  he is a decent stop gap until they find his replacement in the draft.

I suspect they will go OL in the first round this year for obvious reasons but if the right pass rusher is there, then that is the pick.  CB are deep in this draft and i imagine at least 2 picks will go towards them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

118 ( edited by Tenacious Faulk 03-16-17 07:05)

For what was mentioned here WR is a popular pick.  In answer to the question of Ross, some mocks now have him higher than Williams with the Bills and Eagles drafting him allowing Williams to fall.  Those mocking Williams to Bmore seem to think that he'd be a better mid-range target for Joe.  Personally I think WR can be taken later, but I've put my two-cents in on McCaffery being that chain moving hybrid player and would prefer him over Ross.  If Williams is available as well McCaffery then I think the the former wins that contest if they don't trade back.

ILB specifically seems to be capricious especially with needs at OLB.  Reuben Foster is seen as the best linebacker in the draft and he's an ILB.  After being dismissed from the Combine for attitude his draft stock might drop.  He's all over the 1st round in mock drafts from 5th to 27th.  However, I'm a fan of TJ Watt (JJ's youngest bro) who can play both ILB and OLB and hinted at a full switch to ILB in the NFL.  He's been compared to Kruger by some and Kuechley by others.  He's probably somewhere in between, but he's a beast with a great pedigree.  He's seen as a late day 1or early day 2 prospect. 

I'm also seeing Cam Robinson and Forrest Lamp mocked to th Ravens too.  Lamp has come up the charts a lot, but I doubt he really gets 16th overall consideration.  He still could be a day-2 pick.

So Aiken left Baltimore angry about being bumped down to #3/4 on the depth chart.........and he's going to sign with Indy to be #3/4 on their depth chart  *PARDON*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://i.imgflip.com/101lwn.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down