Topic: Taboo...?

Anyone watching Taboo (BBC mini-series with Tom Hardy)?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Taboo...?

no- i wanted too but read it was really confusing the first 4 episodes, so i bailed.

plus i already watch enough aimless crap, i don't need a confusing show to add on top of it.

Baseball season is almost here !

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the show ended season 1 already in only 8 episodes. that was fast.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It did - Episode 8 was Tuesday night.  They're signed on for two more seasons.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

axe-did u watch it? was it any good?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like it a lot. It has elements of history (the East India Company); it's dark, violent, elements of mysticism...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AxeMurderer wrote:

I like it a lot. It has elements of history (the East India Company); it's dark, violent, elements of mysticism...

was it hard to follow? that's what the tv publications kept saying and a reason i didn't watch it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

was it hard to follow? that's what the tv publications kept saying and a reason i didn't watch it.

It's fairly intricate. It revolves around a plot of land - Nootka Island (off the coast of the U.S./Canada) - that Tom Hardy's father purchased while he was a member of the powerful East India Company. His father dies, leaving Hardy as the heir; but the EIC wants the land (it offers a lucrative trade route to China), the monarchy and the US want it (this is during the War of 1812)...so there are spies, secret alliances, double-dealings.

There are inter-personal relationships (a half-sister Hardy has an incestuous relationship with; a secret wife of Hardy's father - a stage actress who might have married him when he was in the throes of senility);

A sub-plot about an illegal slave ship run by the EIC;

Some shamanism/mysticism (Hardy's mother was an Indian kidnapped by his father from Nootka Island)...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AxeMurderer wrote:

It's fairly intricate. It revolves around a plot of land - Nootka Island (off the coast of the U.S./Canada) - that Tom Hardy's father purchased while he was a member of the powerful East India Company. His father dies, leaving Hardy as the heir; but the EIC wants the land (it offers a lucrative trade route to China), the monarchy and the US want it (this is during the War of 1812)...so there are spies, secret alliances, double-dealings.

There are inter-personal relationships (a half-sister Hardy has an incestuous relationship with; a secret wife of Hardy's father - a stage actress who might have married him when he was in the throes of senility);

A sub-plot about an illegal slave ship run by the EIC;

Some shamanism/mysticism (Hardy's mother was an Indian kidnapped by his father from Nootka Island)...

sounds crazy and interesting that's for sure. nice recap job too. sounds like it's way over my head.

Thumbs up Thumbs down