751 ( edited by KilkennyDan 02-20-17 08:21)

Re: Buffalo Sabres

I wish the Sabres could only play games against teams that are playoff teams, (based on 2/19/17 standings).  Their record vs. teams headed to the real season, (again if the season ended yesterday), is 17-10-6.

Unfortunately they play other teams sitting outside the playoffs too.  Against these teams their record is 9-14-4.

I think the only definitive conclusion we can draw is that it sucks to be a Sabres fan.  It may indicate that no team can sleep on Buffalo.  It may also indicate that Buffalo cannot afford to sleep on anyone, but they do.

The Sabres D blows, but any team with Risto on the roster has hope.  Jake McCabe is rounding out to be pretty good too.  Damn, you want more that 2 blueliners on your lineup.

If BUF loses one of their next two (at CO & AZ) then they absolutely will be sellers at the deadline.  The expansion draft may add almost as much excitement as we normally expect at the trade deadline.  I'm thinking it's time to sacrifice a first round pick, (top 3 protected) for D - hopefully someone from ANA.  A June deal is much more likely than Feb., however.

Go Cornell Big Red - County Kilkenny - Go Cats!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

.............................................................................................  Lost my mind........................... I don't mind...

Will's Website

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

753 ( edited by igloofn68 03-22-17 01:31)

I guess the Sabres will 1st try to get rid of Jorgensan, Dan? He didn't look good at all and definitely had a very bad game. I just hope Rutherford doesn't try to trade for him. The Penz have a ton of injuries and seem to have another every game they play. It's kind of surprising to the fans of Pitt that they are still winning....... *SCRATCH*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

igloofn68 wrote:

I guess the Sabres will 1st try to get rid of Jorgenson, Dan?

Who?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

755 ( edited by igloofn68 03-22-17 01:38)

Jorge?     My bad. Josh Gorges?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

756 ( edited by KilkennyDan 03-22-17 09:29)

Kulikov will not be brought back, in fact, TM essentially admits he made a mistake getting him from Florida. (Although few will remember this in a few years, Asplund came to the Sabres as part of the trade. He may prove to the biggest piece of all.)

I think the Sabres would be very lucky if Vegas were to select Bogosian in the eDraft. He can help a team (sometimes he helps the Sabres - to lose) but at his salary I doubt it'll be that easy to be rid of Zach.

Josh Gorges, he's a player a lot of fans would like to see in Vegas. He's worn the A and appears to be a better leader than a player. I suppose TM could find a way to package him in a trade. I just don't expect much for him.

If I had to guess, I would have guessed you meant Zemgus "the Lion Killer" Girgensons. Gus is one of several young F's that BUF has in abundance.  Marcus Foligno, Johann Larsson, Hudson Fasching, Will Carrier, and a couple others could all have long mid to bottom six careers. They're all the type of depth players that Stanley Cup contenders need/covet. I hope that one or two of them, along with a high draft pick, may be enough to land a top four D-man ready to step right in and play 10+ years for Buffalo.

Thank you!: Will

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jake McCabe: "It's about consistency. We would win, then we would lose. It got to the point we were playing .500 hockey, that's unacceptable".

.............................................................................................  Lost my mind........................... I don't mind...

Will wrote:

Jake McCabe: "It's about consistency. We would win, then we would lose. It got to the point we were playing .500 hockey, that's unacceptable".

The HC has to take most of the flak for this fact. The players play their season one game to the next. The coach is supposed to see the big picture and make sure the players' heads are in the game every game.

The Sabres are not that far away. They need a top four d-man that can carry the puck. Their personnel did not seem well suited for DB's system; and he seemed unwilling to make adjustments.

I think a few new players through FA, a big trade, and a new coach could be the ticket. That's a lot of work, but certainly achievable in one offseason.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

KilkennyDan wrote:
Will wrote:

The HC has to take most of the flak for this fact. The players play their season one game to the next. The coach is supposed to see the big picture and make sure the players' heads are in the game every game.

The Sabres are not that far away. They need a top four d-man that can carry the puck. Their personnel did not seem well suited for DB's system; and he seemed unwilling to make adjustments.

I think a few new players through FA, a big trade, and a new coach could be the ticket. That's a lot of work, but certainly achievable in one offseason.

I agree with you. They have got to shake things up a bit. Buffalo is very talented and I'm with you... get a new coach. I also agree that they are just a few personal changes away... and that's very possible if they do things smartly.

One thing to, the Sabres are a fun team to watch, they just cant get the W's on a consistent basis.

Will's Website

Thank you!: KilkennyDan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I haven't checked season-ending stats., but the Sabres are at or close to the best PP team in the NHL. For a team that appears to have a hard time scoring, this seems like a contradiction.

I like to hunt for anomalies that point to an underlying truth. The truth is that Buffalo can score - and are damned entertaining in the process.

Their defensive style invited, IMHO, mistakes and created opportunities for the opponent. One or two lapses in your defensive zone are all it takes to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

I do not think it's a matter of developing the D. I think they're not good enough. But Risto and McCabe are nice building blocks. They're bringing in Antipin from the KHL, and I've heard he's a fast puck handling player that can light the lamp.

With the #5 pick (before the lottery) and a ton of talent at F, along with expansion draft maneuvers, I think TM can swing a trade for that needed top four D.

Coaches? There are lots of them available.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Young Sabres center Jack Eichel missed 21 games with an ankle injury, eventually finishing this season with 24 goals and 33 assists, good for 57 points in 61 games. That’s a 0.934 points per game average, which was 11th in the NHL this season, just behind Leon Draisaitl’s 0.939. As infinitesimal as that 0.005 margin was, it will cost Eichel $2 million

thats a lot of Santarpios pizzas.

http://deadspin.com/jack-eichel-missed- … 1794201575

"We're not gonna lose quite as easy as we have in the past." -K. Lowe

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The clearing out the locker with Jack was extraordinary. He was as pissed off as I can ever remember any player that was trying to maintain his composure. I think that's a very good thing since he's far and away the Sabres best player on the ice, and he's de facto becoming their leader off the ice.

He had a quick response to when he was asked about his nearly 1 PPG pace for the season: "but I didn't", (hit 1 PPG).  I guess missing a couple of mil will leave you in a sour mood.

Jack missed the first 21 games with a high ankle sprain which is very hard to recover from. In his first two months back he was, at times, still bothered by it. So, to get a good look at how good he is, focus on the last 25% of the season.

Bob commented somewhere else that he should be promoted to 1C. I think his 2C role was a form of sheltering him. I agree that it's time to move him up and make him the true face of the franchise. If BUF models their identity after Jack, then the future is bright.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey Jack, remember that time Draisaitl scored a 3rd period goal that cost you a cool $2 million?

http://cdn.barstoolsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/11/eichel-face-1024x577.jpeg?fc316e

"We're not gonna lose quite as easy as we have in the past." -K. Lowe

Thank you!: KilkennyDan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

764 ( edited by KilkennyDan 04-13-17 07:20)

I'm liking Tim Murray. He tells us stuff you rarely hear from a GM. Yesterday he said that "Dan Bylsma is (Buffalo's) coach today". Then he elaborated:

"Maybe they can put a coffee in their hand once in a while and do two hours of video instead of three and get out and get to know our players, talk to our players. It’s about coaching individuals a little more and coaching system a little less.”

... Two years into his tenure with the Sabres, the guy that picks (and in theory fires) the coach is of the opinion that the coach doesn’t coach appropriately.

DB is still HC because TM has not yet met with his boss for his own evaluation. "If I'm still here, then we'll evaluate the coaches".  Hardly a ringing endorsement.

I won't cheer if DB is fired, but it'll be the right thing to do for this team.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

765 ( edited by KilkennyDan 04-21-17 08:57)

It would be a good thing if some of the Pegulas' teams began to win more often. They enjoy a great reputation with players. I guess you could call Terry and Kim players-owners.

That qualifier is more quickly frequently attached to a coach, and it usually bodes bad things.

They don't seem so GM and HC-friendly. They came close to landing Babs two years ago, and it's interesting, but probably useless, to speculate about the difference that would have made.

Personally I think they're going to go the same route the Bills took after axing Rex. I'm thinking of a younger GM and HC with no prior top-job experience in the NHL. My early favorites: Norm MacIver, AGM, Chicago Blackhawks, and Phil Housley, AC, Nashville Preditors.

Regardless of who is hired - and it is critical they get this right - they must act quickly. They probably need the GM in place within about one month. Ideally the HC will also be in place by then. Therefore, we can take solace in one indisputable fact: the Pegulas have a great deal of experience in hiring sports management & coaches.

Thumbs up Thumbs down