Topic: Free Agency

Is there anyone out there that you would like the Steelers to sign in free agency?

The can use some help at DB, LB, and back up RB.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2 ( edited by smcndfan 03-13-17 04:25)

Re: Free Agency

I wouldn't mind if they resigned DeAngelo Williams to a one year deal

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3 ( edited by blackngoldbad 03-13-17 01:13)

A decent #2/3 corner and ILB (like the two they have visiting today) would go a long way in making me pleased. That and Hasson Reddick or next best rush OLB on their board in the draft - round 1 - would add to the optimism. Would allow the future post-Harrison to quickly develop.............Dupree strongside, Reddick weakside - but staying on the field at OLB/ILB in nickel and dime situations. In the age of no-huddle and at times gimmicky offenses.........need as many 3-down players as you can have to avoid as match ups that can be exploited.

I love Timmons and everything he did for us, but he became quite a liability in passing situations the last year/two, especially if matched with slot receivers or quality TEs. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Hightower, in Pittsburgh for a visit today, is anything other than a younger version of him. And Vince Williams..........while a quality fill-in at either linebacker in the event of injury............I'm not sure he'll ever be top-notch starter quality, nor is coverage his strong suit. Gotta get younger/more athletic at the position, has to be someone more than just an inside thumper that can play the run and occasionally rush the passer.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

4 ( edited by Jeanquev 03-13-17 05:31)

smcndfan wrote:

Why?  He was injured most of last year which has been a knock on him his entire career and he had a 3.5 yards per carry average. In 3 of his 4 starts this year his yards per carry was under 3 and in one of them he didn't finish the game. Its time to let him walk the only direction for him is down.  IMHO its going to  be a quick steep decline.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeanquev wrote:
smcndfan wrote:

Why?  He was injured most of last year which has been a knock on him his entire career and he had a 3.5 yards per carry average. In 3 of his 4 starts this year his yards per carry was under 3 and in one of them he didn't finish the game. Its time to let him walk the only direction for him is down.  IMHO its going to  be a quick steep decline.

They need someone other than Bell and Toussaint.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Eddy Lacy got $5.55 million from Seattle on a on year deal.  Rotoworld reported that he weighed 267 pounds.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

smcndfan wrote:
Jeanquev wrote:
smcndfan wrote:

They need someone other than Bell and Toussaint.

Which they will likely address in the draft or after all the dust settles but as much as he has been a fan favorite while here its time to move on from Williams.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steelers signed WR Justin Hunter

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

smcndfan wrote:

That's a potentially good signing and I wish your guys didn't make it

Don't look now but the Ravens are coming........

Thumbs up Thumbs down

smcndfan wrote:

Well, given how good/deep they'll be with Bryant coming back (assuming he doesn't risk his last strike) at the position, I see this as a hedge move. Bring him in for minimal money, see if he can compete with the #4/5 position, and if its an improvement over Hey-Bey, Hamilton, Ayers, etc............let him compete. I don't think they'd do it if they didn't see it as a potential improvement. A good QB will always make a decent receiver better more so than the other way around. And for anyone mocking a receiver to Pitt in the first round..........keep dreaming. Too many good defensive players in this year's draft to take one early. Third round.........maybe.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

blackngoldbad wrote:

smcndfan wrote:

Well, given how good/deep they'll be with Bryant coming back (assuming he doesn't risk his last strike) at the position, I see this as a hedge move. Bring him in for minimal money, see if he can compete with the #4/5 position, and if its an improvement over Hey-Bey, Hamilton, Ayers, etc............let him compete. I don't think they'd do it if they didn't see it as a potential improvement. A good QB will always make a decent receiver better more so than the other way around. And for anyone mocking a receiver to Pitt in the first round..........keep dreaming. Too many good defensive players in this year's draft to take one early. Third round.........maybe.

Doubtful he is playing on special teams so he isn't bumping DHB.  Personally I'm disappointed that our big FA signing is a wide receiver and not one of the corners or LBs that we looked at.  I wonder if the signing of Hunter is an indicator they don't expect Bryant to be reinstated or that Coats surgery (or surgeries pending on the source) didn't go as well as expected.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doubtful he is playing on special teams so he isn't bumping DHB.  Personally I'm disappointed that our big FA signing is a wide receiver and not one of the corners or LBs that we looked at.  I wonder if the signing of Hunter is an indicator they don't expect Bryant to be reinstated or that Coats surgery (or surgeries pending on the source) didn't go as well as expected.

I am a little disappointed they couldn't get a quality corner (though Claiborne and Carr are still out there but at what price?), would have loved Logan, but they may have decided they aren't willing to break the bank this year given its one of the best/deepest drafts for corners in a decade (at least according to several "pundits"), and given they need to do extensions for Tuitt/Bell/maybe Villanueva this summer, and Shazier next summer. Its not like they are desperate at any position. They are WEAKER at OLB and corner, but its not like that can't be addressed for this year and beyond next month in the draft. There are a LOT of teams that would trade places with us in terms of the talent on our roster, given we only need to polish edges and build quality depth.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Revis got his charges dropped and has interest in the Steelers. This intrigues me at face value but I don't know all  the particulars. Would he be an upgrade at this point?

Hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength.-Quintus Arrius

Thumbs up Thumbs down

dirk275 wrote:

Revis got his charges dropped and has interest in the Steelers. This intrigues me at face value but I don't know all  the particulars. Would he be an upgrade at this point?

Would he be an upgrade? Over cockrill I'd say so wouldn't you? Revis had a poor year last season and one would think he is eager for  a bounce back season. The question is does he have enough left in the tank? If the money was right I wouldn't be against a two year deal as we could use an experienced vet in the secondary to help nurture the young guys but I'm not sure he's a guy the steelers would typically touch.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Sure seems like with the Hunter signing that they are stacking the kindnof receivers Ben has always wanted - tall and deep threats

Techheart 3.0 = The Realist

Thumbs up Thumbs down