Re: 2017 NFL DRAFT - RUNNING BACKS

That's about 10 of the top RB prospects....Feel free to add anybody if you like. 

I listed them in my preferential order at this point, but there are plenty others to talk about if the RB conversation starts going...

The Browns need to score more points. Our depth at RB needs to improve...  We just don't come close to matching up with the playoff teams in this league at the skill positions.  Outside of Crowell and Pryor, we didn't have anybody that put fear in the defense...That's just not enough, and I don't need to explain the situation with both of those guys this offseason...We can't afford to lose either one...

let it ride

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dalvin is a solid prospect but the Marshal Faulk comparison just isn't justified -

Notice the difference in the feet. Marshal is lighter in step, infinitely more subtle in change of direction and is more sudden in movement. Faulk changes the length of his gate to fit the circumstance and the only thing really not showing up in his youth was his ability to set up blockers once he became a professional.

Dalvin Cook is more like Chris Johnson, with a better understanding of the receiving game and a better set of hands to go with it.

"Kid, I wouldn't last five minutes leading an outfit like that if I wasn't as rotten as hell."

Tim's Website

Thank you!: TopDawg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tim wrote:

Dalvin is a solid prospect but the Marshal Faulk comparison just isn't justified -

Notice the difference in the feet. Marshal is lighter in step, infinitely more subtle in change of direction and is more sudden in movement. Faulk changes the length of his gate to fit the circumstance and the only thing really not showing up in his youth was his ability to set up blockers once he became a professional.

Dalvin Cook is more like Chris Johnson, with a better understanding of the receiving game and a better set of hands to go with it.

I always thought of Chris Johnson as more of a straight line, one cut, runner, with blazing speed..  To me Dalvin Cook has more wiggle than that, but I agree that these comparisons can get carried away....Comparing a RB to Faulk or Peterson or Bo Jackson is a bit much....I think Cook is an outstanding receiver, and he is similar in size, so he draws the Faulk comparison.  Fournette is built like a machine with size and speed, , so he draws the Bo Jackson comparison, though truth be told, there has never been a comparable to Bo on this planet...

let it ride

Thumbs up Thumbs down

top dawg wrote:

I always thought of Chris Johnson as more of a straight line, one cut, runner, with blazing speed..  To me Dalvin Cook has more wiggle than that, but I agree that these comparisons can get carried away....Comparing a RB to Faulk or Peterson or Bo Jackson is a bit much....I think Cook is an outstanding receiver, and he is similar in size, so he draws the Faulk comparison.  Fournette is built like a machine with size and speed, , so he draws the Bo Jackson comparison, though truth be told, there has never been a comparable to Bo on this planet...

I think Chris was a little shiftier than what his reputation belies, but Cook is a bit stouter in his hips and his change of direction and slight have a more elongated look than Johnson's.

I think Dalvin can come in and be an immediate weapon for just about any offense but the Faulk comparison is flawed.

And the bold part is spot on.

"Kid, I wouldn't last five minutes leading an outfit like that if I wasn't as rotten as hell."

Tim's Website

Thank you!: TopDawg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marshall Faulk catches this pass:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/19/10/c6/1910c6966a1062749bdc6e31d01c1d68.gif

More of a prophet, less of a poster.™  #TeamCody

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Running Back Red Flags: Fumble Rates

One of my favorites - Kareem Hunt - top of his class with an unreal number.

Just to mess with showstopper, I'm officially taking Dalvin Cook off my board.

Elite (150 or better)

856.0: Kareem Hunt, Toledo
434.0: Joseph Yearby, Miami (Fla.)
266.5: De'Veon Smith, Michigan
243.7: Christian McCaffrey, Stanford
168.0: Elijah McGuire, Louisiana-Lafayette
157.2: Jamaal Williams, BYU

Red Flag (Worse than 75)
74.9: Jeremy McNichols, Boise State
74.3: D'Onta Foreman, Texas
73.0: Joe Mixon, Oklahoma
71.0: Alvin Kamara, Tennessee
69.8: Curtis Samuel, Ohio State
65.4: Taquan Mizzell, Virginia
63.8: Dalvin Cook, Florida State
57.7: Boom Williams, Kentucky
56.3: Justin Davis, USC
54.3: Marlon Mack, South Florida
52.2: Marcus Cox, Appalachian State
51.1: DeAngelo Henderson, Coastal Carolina

Thank you!: TopDawg, IrishDawg42, Lyman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SAS wrote:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/19/10/c6/1910c6966a1062749bdc6e31d01c1d68.gif

So does Cook 99% of the time...he took his eye off it cause he wanted 2 make the big play...his hands are above avg...I stated he needs 2 work on ball security and it has improved...instant impact player and I'm hoping he goes 2 Indy and plays in that offense w a great QB and weapons on the perimeter...heck old man Gore can run the ball in that offense imagine Cook...lights out

Thumbs up Thumbs down

showstopper wrote:
SAS wrote:

So does Cook 99% of the time...he took his eye off it cause he wanted 2 make the big play...his hands are above avg...I stated he needs 2 work on ball security and it has improved...instant impact player and I'm hoping he goes 2 Indy and plays in that offense w a great QB and weapons on the perimeter...heck old man Gore can run the ball in that offense imagine Cook...lights out

Que Sammy with targets and receptions data in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1

Do not confuse effort with results.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lyman wrote:
showstopper wrote:
SAS wrote:

If he goes to Indy...1270 yds rushing, 25 catches 300 yds and 12 total TDs

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Stopper, I'm not gonna do it, but I guarantee if you looked , you could find footage of Marshall Faulk dropping a pass that was right to him..lol!  You could also find Jerry Rice and anybody else...I know it was a blatant drop, but it happens.  All reports are that Dalvin Cook has excellent hands and is a great receiving threat....This is simply blowing one drop way out of proportion IMO..

let it ride

Thumbs up Thumbs down

top dawg wrote:

Stopper, I'm not gonna do it, but I guarantee if you looked , you could find footage of Marshall Faulk dropping a pass that was right to him..lol!  You could also find Jerry Rice and anybody else...I know it was a blatant drop, but it happens.  All reports are that Dalvin Cook has excellent hands and is a great receiving threat....This is simply blowing one drop way out of proportion IMO..

No doubt...Michigan game he runs a go route and catches it 40 yds down field...makes it look easy

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The big comparison is Cook vs. Fournette....I like Cook because he's got more shiftiness, wiggle, juke, whatever you wanna call it.  If the run blitz is on, he can still come up with 5 yards.  Fournette has scary size, but I fear his propensity to bring on the contact will shorten his career, and I don't think he's as effective in the passing game...

let it ride

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lyman wrote:

Actually... my handy-dandy reference site only has target data for the pros, none for college.  I assume that he does have a pretty high catch rate simply because most passes to running backs are going to easier throws within 0 - 5 yards of the LOS.

Cook and Fournette (as [notify]top dawg[/notify] pointed out) are the two to compare, however, and for me, it's not close.

Cook lacks the size to be an every down back, padded a gaudy YPC number with break-away runs that I simply don't think will exist at the NFL level, and has ball security issues.

Best player in the '17 draft...complete package...I agree needs to work on ball security but he did improve

He fumbled six times in 2016, twice as many as 2015 (three).  Makes me wonder if he watches the games or film.

Compare him with Fournette?  That's not even fair.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7f/9c/10/7f9c106ac1e472258bbfa79ab3d916cc.gif

That hit makes my teeth hurt.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SAS wrote:

Compare him with Fournette?  That's not even fair.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7f/9c/10/7f9c106ac1e472258bbfa79ab3d916cc.gif

That hit makes my teeth hurt.

My favorite part? Fournette actually slows just a bit before accelerating then exploding into his target. I have Leonard over Cook by a pretty sizeable margin. Runningbacks with tenacity get bonus points.  *THUMBSUP*

Tim wrote:

I can agree to a C.J. comparison, but it's not Johnson.

#CJSpiller2.0

Thumbs up Thumbs down