16 ( edited by LAOJoe 02-08-17 04:35)

Re: Does anyone really care about Brady's jersey?

Class B Misdemeanor Theft

Theft is a class B misdemeanor in Texas if the value of the property or services stolen is $50 or more but less than $500, or if the property stolen is a driver's license or other identification card. (§ 31.03(e)(2).) The punishment for a class B misdemeanor in Texas is a sentence of confinement in jail for a term of not more than 180 days a fine of not more than $2,000, or both. (§ 12.22.)

Class A Misdemeanor Theft

Theft is a class A misdemeanor in Texas if the value of the property or services stolen is $500 or more but less than $1,500. (§ 31.03(e)(3).) The punishment for a class A misdemeanor in Texas is a sentence of confinement in jail for a term of no more than one year, a fine of not more than $4,000, or both. (§ 12.21.)   

State Jail Felony Theft

Theft is a state jail felony in Texas if the value of the property or services stolen is $1,500 or more but less than $20,000, or if the property is of a specific type, such as a firearm or certain livestock valued at less than $20,000. (§ 31.03(e)(4).) The punishment for a state jail felony in Texas is incarceration ranging from 180 days to two years of in a state jail, plus a fine of no more than $10.000. (§ 12.35.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think people care about crime Dan but not a football jersey. Did you read what Joe looked up yet? Most people think it's overblown. you are taking it to the highest level which is numbnutz! :D

STANLEY CUP CHAMPS = PENS........Raise the Jolly Roger........Stairway to 7

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What?  This jersey has an estimated value of many multiples of $20,000.  It is grand larceny.

That's grand larceny regardless of the item. I thought the whole idea was to try to have a conversation that added new information or considerations.  You seem to have the a priori view that no one cares, therefore that's the end of the story.  Well, why ask in the first place!

Go Cornell Big Red - County Kilkenny - Go Cats!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

KilkennyDan wrote:

What?  This jersey has an estimated value of many multiples of $20,000.  It is grand larceny.

That's grand larceny regardless of the item. I thought the whole idea was to try to have a conversation that added new information or considerations.  You seem to have the a priori view that no one cares, therefore that's the end of the story.  Well, why ask in the first place!

It matters and I don't care enough to talk about it really. I hope they find it. But going back to the type of crime, How much is it worth? Is it worth ~$100 or is it's value way more right away? It makes sense its worth the higher amount. It likely would cost more than $200000. I would argue it could be less but not less than 6 figures.

Felony of the Second Degree Theft
Theft is a felony of the second degree in Texas if the value of the property or services stolen is $100,000 or more but less than $200,000. (§ 31.03(e)(6).) The punishment for a felony of the second degree in Texas is two to 20 years of imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, and a fine of not more than $10.000. (§ 12.33.) 

Felony of the First Degree Theft
Theft is a felony of the first degree in Texas if the value of the property or services stolen is $200,000 or more. (§ 31.03(e)(7).) The punishment for a felony of the first degree in Texas is five to 99 years of imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, and a fine of no more than $10.000. (§ 12.32.)

So anyone caught could automatically face 5 years in prison. Although they could say they meant to eventually return it (as long as they weren't caught trying to sell it) and laws in Texas consider it some other illegal extended borrowing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They said on the tele yesterday $500,000........Maybe a little more now since it's become a big news item, which is stupid!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

igloofn68 wrote:

Axe, I could care less about any of Ben's history making jersey's......I just want him to play great QB on the field!

Ben's history making jerseys?

"We're not gonna lose quite as easy as we have in the past." -K. Lowe

Thumbs up Thumbs down

22 ( edited by igloofn68 02-09-17 01:13)

He has Steelers franchise records Matt. I don't think he'll break any all-time records. The question asked was, Would I feel differently if it was Roethlisberger's jersey? As I said before....I would care less. Just want him to play good QB. I was never crazy about Ben's personality even when he was 1st drafted. But I still wanted the Steelers to win.....I also think that the biggest value the jersey has is to Brady and his family......And, as Dan or Fish said, I think it was an inside job or somebody would of noticed. Brady is already a millionaire and probably wanted the jersey for himself. Why would he sell it? Also I think it's getting too much press over a jersey and theres no guarantee the record will hold up the way they change the rules every year.....It' not like Rickey Hendersons record will ever be broken or Hak Wilson's RBI record will ever be broken at 191 RBI's.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're aware of the historical records broken by Brady in that jersey and that breaking individual team records isn't really comparable right?

"We're not gonna lose quite as easy as we have in the past." -K. Lowe

Thumbs up Thumbs down

mattymcgee55 wrote:

You're aware of the historical records broken by Brady in that jersey and that breaking individual team records isn't really comparable right?

I think the whole basis for posing the question in the first place was (intentionally or not) to trivialize Brady's achievements.  Injecting Roethlisberger's jersey into the discussion is awkward, at best.

What Tom Brady has done may stand for a our lifetimes.  Winning multiple SB's is going to become increasingly difficult in the salary cap era. I think his career will be appreciated more over time because it is so F!ing remarkable.  I doubt I will ever see a QB hoist the Lombardi for the sixth time, (unless it's Brady).

Hell, I can talk about my H.S. exploits - we kicked everyone's ass.  In four years I never walked off the field with a loss.  What does this have to do with Tom Brady and the Pats?  Well, well absofuckinglutely nothing.  Neither does Ben's jersey.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

OK. So you stole Brady's jersey. Now what. Your a member of the stadium staff or some media flunky dragging equipment around. Brady and Belicheck are giving their interviews over there and you look down and there it is. His jersey sticking out of the top of the bag. You grab it and stuff it under your shirt, continue doing your job and walk out of there.

You gonna sell it? E-Bay, Craigs List, Amazon ?? Try that and you will have Houston PD at your front door. Pawn shop or some sports memorabilia place ?? Either they won't believe you OR worse yet, they do. And again, Houston PD at your front door. Hang it up in your house and tell all your friends about it ? Then they tell their friends, and they tell their friends, etc, etc. Knock, knock...... "Houston PD. We just have a few questions to ask you !!!!"

You've got a lion by the tail now. Best thing you can do is stuff that thing in an envelope and mail it to the NFL in New York and hope that they don't try to figure out where it came from.

Good luck with that !!!!!!

Thank you!: Lyman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What Tom Brady has done may stand for a our lifetimes.  Winning multiple SB's is going to become increasingly difficult in the salary cap era. I think his career will be appreciated more over time because it is so F!ing remarkable.  I doubt I will ever see a QB hoist the Lombardi for the sixth time, (unless it's Brady).

Maybe not in our lifetime but it will happen as long as the rules continue to benefit the offense and protect the QB.  Many QBs of the past were hammered because the rules protecting them were not as strict.  Had today's rules been in place in the 80s it might very well have been Montana hoisting the Lombardi five times.  Granted Montana didn't play in the 70s were it was even worse protection for QBs.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Jeanquev wrote:

Maybe not in our lifetime but it will happen as long as the rules continue to benefit the offense and protect the QB.  Many QBs of the past were hammered because the rules protecting them were not as strict.  Had today's rules been in place in the 80s it might very well have been Montana hoisting the Lombardi five times.  Granted Montana didn't play in the 70s were it was even worse protection for QBs.

You make a very valid point about the rule changes protecting the QB, and conceivably extending their careers as a result.  That could assist an individual QB rack up more Lombardis.

However, the salary cap works against the team maintaining its dominance over time.  There is just too much roster turnover due to costs rather than age, injury, or general suckiness compare to before.  That works against a team (and therefore the QB) getting more trophies.

In the end, I would be very surprised to see any QB to get more than 5 SB rings.  Brady should be given credit for this remarkable feat.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

KilkennyDan wrote:
Jeanquev wrote:

You make a very valid point about the rule changes protecting the QB, and conceivably extending their careers as a result.  That could assist an individual QB rack up more Lombardis.

However, the salary cap works against the team maintaining its dominance over time.  There is just too much roster turnover due to costs rather than age, injury, or general suckiness compare to before.  That works against a team (and therefore the QB) getting more trophies.

In the end, I would be very surprised to see any QB to get more than 5 SB rings.  Brady should be given credit for this remarkable feat.

The feat (staying highly competitive after the first 3) was also due to him taking pay cuts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The feat (staying highly competitive after the first 3) was also due to him taking pay cuts.

That is a big part of the key right there Brady realizes you cant be paid big money and eat up a large portion of the salary cap and still stay competitive.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/201 … arterback/

When you look at cap hits for 2016 Brady ranks 18th.  He ranks 1th in average salary.  You dont see a lot of NFL players especially qbs take less money to make sure the team is better.  Brady wants to win championships so guess what he does takes less money gets better players around him and well 7 trips to the SB and 5 victories.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeanquev wrote:

That is a big part of the key right there Brady realizes you cant be paid big money and eat up a large portion of the salary cap and still stay competitive.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/201 … arterback/

When you look at cap hits for 2016 Brady ranks 18th.  He ranks 1th in average salary.  You dont see a lot of NFL players especially qbs take less money to make sure the team is better.  Brady wants to win championships so guess what he does takes less money gets better players around him and well 7 trips to the SB and 5 victories.

And gets the rest from the Pats giving unknown payments to his sports science company.

Thumbs up Thumbs down