Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: 2017 Blackhawks

https://media.giphy.com/media/oSxSHjPdVNHzO/giphy.gif

Lucas Carlsson

"We're not gonna lose quite as easy as we have in the past." -K. Lowe

Thank you!: Will

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thats why you play the body, not the puck... wow.

.............................................................................................  Lost my mind........................... I don't mind...

Will's Website

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I liked the direction of their picks, but those later 2 2nds looked like guys they may have been targeting a little later than they were picking.   Tough to say.    I'm of the opinion they weren't ready for a Shaw trade that landed them 2 16' 2nd rounders.

"I'm not god, I'm not a doctor.  I'm closer to a veterinarian than a doctor"- Darryl Sutter

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I kinda pull for the Hawks so this is not a butthurt motivated comment. I took DeBrincat off my Sabres board (not that TM cared).

There's small, fast, & tough. And, there's small, fast, fragile, and quite possibly stupid. I hope I'm proven wrong when I place Alex in the second group.

Go Cornell Big Red - County Kilkenny - Go Cats!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He was probably the best goal scorer available, probably shouldn't have slid that much.
I attribute the slide to the incredibly low performance floor.   Being that small with a short reach makes him all but gauranteed to be a one dimensional player for quite a few years.     

There's no question about the risk.     Since the Hawks don't have high skill scorers in the system, it seemed to make sense that they picked him. 

Given what the Hawks have done from a construction standpoint, I don't mind them taking prospects that will boom or bust quickly.   They're not building, so the last kind of prospect I want is a typical 2nd rounder that loiters in the system for years with a ceiling as a 10-13fwd or situational bottom pair dmen.

The Belgian goalie was weird to me with their 3rd, but that's also why I thought they weren't ready for the draft with their 2 picks in between.    I have a feeling their 45th or 50th pick would have been available to trade up for later.

I was hoping they would have used the picks to bolster the roster or to load up for the 17 draft.

"I'm not god, I'm not a doctor.  I'm closer to a veterinarian than a doctor"- Darryl Sutter

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, the Hawks have defied conventional org. development by consistently being in SC contention - while paying the price for that at the deadline in picks & prospects. And, at the same time maintaining a top-10 pipeline. That's very hard to do, and it's one of the main reasons why I like the Hawks.

They're not building...

My team has been, uhmm, more focused on building than on W's. You make a very concise & cogent point here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

23 ( edited by hockeybob 06-26-16 12:21)

After that Seabrook contract, and the future Panarin one,  I really think they're just going to try to move Seabrook or cash out everything they can for anther title.     

They don't want to be what Detroit has become, I think they would rather be like what ANA was a few years ago where they were positioned to turnaround in a year or two after the window was closed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The question I have for McDonough and Wirtz is whether or not they want to be a championship team or a team that can sell a playoff appearance (and all the bs about "anything can happen once you're in") to sponsors and Season Tick Holders.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1.5 + 750K bonus for Soupy.
Campbell is back.   That's a big win.

Still some work to do, they need another LW or at least another versatile forward.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hockeybob wrote:

1.5 + 750K bonus for Soupy.
Campbell is back.   That's a big win.

Still some work to do, they need another LW or at least another versatile forward.

I guess it's me, because no one else seems surprised, but I am shocked at the value of this contract.

Brian may not be the player he was when he signed with CHI the first time, but I think he's as good as anyone getting $4-5MM.

I expected the one year deal because he will still be young enough to sign another deal in a year, and this gets everyone past the expansion draft. Still, am I wrong in thinking he left $2-3MM on the table because he wanted to go back to his wife's home?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Projecting the lineup today, that leaves Chicago with about 500K of space and a lot of shuffling to do.   I think the contract was the max Bowman was willing to spend today.   If they had 3 million, I think they would have spent it. 

Still, am I wrong in thinking he left $2-3MM on the table because he wanted to go back to his wife's home?

He still lives here (chicago area).     The fam is dug in to the west suburbs, he just wants to go home after work.    Hawks fans are pretty pumped.  The voices are telling me to not drink the koolaid.    There's a downside to going home everyday after not going home everyday.     Kids, especially toddlers, can beat the dogsnot out of adults.     Regardless, I think the first 4 months go smoother than anyother UFA they could have landed. 

Report out was FLA offering him 5 million.    Had other much bigger offers too, believe Dallas was one.  No word on those amounts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-black … immy-vesey

If they could swing this deal like the stole the bread man look out ......

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mackladder wrote:

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-black … immy-vesey

If they could swing this deal like the stole the bread man look out ......

If they do land him, there's little doubt that it was largely because they moved Teravainen out.    It would make much more sense to me if the reason he was moved was to attract Vesey.   Undoubtedly, his departure helped land Schmaltz.

With Shaw gone, along with Teravainen, they have to pp slots open and an additional pk slot open.   Playing on a team looking to contend, with Kane or Toews, should be attractive.

Reasons to be optimistic:
TOI and quality TOI (gauranteed shot to play on Toews or Kane's line)
Playing for a team looking to contend
Minimal competition for a top 6 slot
The ability of former Hawks to land huge paydays
Bowman's history of giving players that didn't work out a soft landing
Bowman isn't shy about handing out incentives

Reasons NOT to be optimistic:
He'll be traded in 2 years (most likely)
Geography
Family ties
Roster familiarity

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After watching that pitiful display of football last night the Hawks can't start soon enough.

Thumbs up Thumbs down