Topic: so you think you know baseball............

Name the New York Yankee bat-boy who was fired for almost killing Babe Ruth.

taking bets on when the FOURTH ban will start haha

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: so you think you know baseball............

beats me...

Baseball season is almost here !

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

If you mean William Bendix (the actor), he was a New York Giants batboy.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Correct Axe! Great job! (you might be thinking about the movie "Kill the Umpire" as I think he was in it as an ex-giant player)

When Babe Ruth was at the apex of his career, as a young yankee bat-boy William worshiped him. He ran babe's errands, shined his shoes,and provide him with all the food the Babe wanted.One day before a game.Ruth dispatched bendix to obtain some soda pop and hot dogs.Even though it was a hot day,Ruth devoured them as usual. This time however, it took it's toll on Ruth.He collapsed with severe stomach pain,and was rushed to the hospital.Late edition newspapers from all over the country,proclaimed that Ruth was actually dying.When the yankee front office discovered that one of it's own bat-boys delivered the food, Bendix was summarily dismissed.Broken-hearted Bendix abandoned his dream as a player, and took up his second love..the theater. A star in alot of movis,play's, radio and TV. he actually got to play Ruth in a movie.

Some will remember him in Rod Sterlings show before his twilight zone series. As a guy who tried to predict the Pearl Harbor disaster.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Which Ball Park boasted the most difficult "Hit Sign Win Suit" sign in the major leagues?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

is the stadium still in use?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'll go with Ebbets Field.

.............................................................................................  Lost my mind........................... I don't mind...

Will's Website

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'll go with old Comiskey Park.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

the pirates old field bf riverfront stadium?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Correct WilltheThrill!! Great job!

Ebbet's field,Brooklyn,Home of the Dodgers. Ebbet's had a massive scoreboard located in right-centerfield.At the base of the scoreboard,a long thin billboard measuring about four foot high and forty foot wide,proclaimed the advantages of shopping at Abe Starks clothing shop on Pitkin Avenue.In one corner of the billboard was an invitation to batters proclaiming, "HIT SIGN WIN SUIT".Starks specialized in GGG suits and gladly would award one to any batter whacked a ball off the sign.The only problem was that the sign was so situated that it was virtually impossible to hit with a line drive(too close to the ground) and equally difficult with a flt ball because either the right or centerfielder easily could catch it.The sign was later immortalized in "The New Yorker Magazine". Except in the magazine cartoon the sign was moved to left field and Stark's was drawn in.Sitting in the front row,with a baseball glove in his hand,leaning over to catch the ball before it hit the sign!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Which baseball slugger camped at an editors doorstep to register a complaint?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Fish, Riverfront was the Reds old stadium. 3 Rivers was the Pirates and before that around when Ebbett was , was Forbes Field before they built 3 Rivers Stadium. I used to go to Forbes Field with my dad and sometimes we would get seats in right field with Clemente. I even scooped up a ball once when 2 Pirates were playing catch warming up and he missed one and it came over by the low fence by the dugout and I reached out and scooped it up with my bare hand. I must have been about 10 or 11 years old. Wonder what ever happened to that ball? haha

STANLEY CUP CHAMPS = PENS........Raise the Jolly Roger........Stairway to 7

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

alfred41 wrote:

Which baseball slugger camped at an editors doorstep to register a complaint?

Wild guess......Babe Ruth?

STANLEY CUP CHAMPS = PENS........Raise the Jolly Roger........Stairway to 7

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Great story igloo!

Nah sorry not the babe. Pretty good guess though...........

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Couple guys who were pretty prickly about things were Rogers Hornsby and Ty Cobb.

I'll go with Hornsby.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down