Re: Detroit Red Wings

FortheLulz wrote:

maybe it just wasn't meant to be, but i am only disappointed in the result tonight - not the team.

I don't know what it is but it seems to me that there's a sense of apathy among some of the players. I don't think it applies to all or even most of them but certain guys just don't seem to care enough. The Grand Rapids call-ups are playing their butts off but guys like Cleary and Ericsson haven't been giving 100% -- at least not from where I'm sitting. If Cleary gets resigned over the summer that would be sufficient evidence that Ken Holland has gone senile. Brendan Smith is playing like a petulant child. That penalty he took in front of the net was so selfish. He needs to grow up soon or he'll be more of a liability to the team than anything. He skates well and he passes well, but his immaturity has really been pissing me off. The Wings are good enough to win some of these close games but they haven't done so. 19 goals in their last 11 games with the caliber of players they have -- even though many of their top 9 forwards have been injured -- just isn't good enough. It's so frustrating to watch because I've seen flashes of brilliance here and there. I just haven't seen it enough this year.

I speak of the pompatus of love.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

holland was already senile when he signed Ian White

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MyNameIsMaurice wrote:
EvilNeverDies wrote:

8 goals over the rest of the season ?
If they dont they will surely not make the playoffs .
Im kind of ok with that for some reason.

You're not allowed to post here anymore.

Sorry. So far they arent doing what they need to do to make the playoffs . I just didnt see the team had a sense of urgency in the Vancouver game .
Sure they outshot the Canucks by a boatload . But did they really outchance them or out hit them by alot ?
If the urgency was there . They would have done all of that , and won by at least 2 goals .
I wont be happy if they miss the playoffs. Especially after hearing the announcers talking about where the Wings streak is overall .
But if they miss ,  they have a chance at a good high draft pick in a deep draft .

Thumbs up Thumbs down

the NHL does not track quality chances. nevertheless, i have no doubt that the wings outchanced the canucks. hits? a team that outhits its opponent is usually a team that has the puck less often than their opponent. you can't hit people when they don't have the puck.

you seem to think that good effort is automatically rewarded with a win, and a loss must mean you didn't try hard enough. i disagree - a lot.

you are just now hearing about the wings playoff streak?

they played well, and deserved a better result. to put this on them not trying hard enough - i don't understand that at all.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I know the Nhl doesnt track quality scoring chances, but between periods they do on the broadcast. Thats why I dont have official numbers that I looked at on NHL.com. I think the effort you guys are all pointing to wasnt there . I use the stats to  back that Opinion up . The evenness in hits and quality scoring chances , plus what I saw on the screen is what I base that opinion on . But again, this is just my opinion . I didnt see the hunger I wanted to see, thats all .
Cmon Lulzy of course  I didnt just hear about the consecutive years in the Playoffs streak . I have been following the Wings since before the streak started. I was just ok with it ending, until they started talking about it . That fired me up to keep it going . Thats all i was saying .

Thumbs up Thumbs down

tired of hearing about the streak, its nice but I just want them to make the playoffs and atleast make the Craphawks scared. maybe steal a game or two......or maybe we can be the San Jose Sharks of '94 and shock the hockey world and steal the series. that would put a big :) on my face, at the very least make Bob sweat a little

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FortheLulz wrote:

the NHL does not track quality chances. nevertheless, i have no doubt that the wings outchanced the canucks. hits? a team that outhits its opponent is usually a team that has the puck less often than their opponent. you can't hit people when they don't have the puck.

you seem to think that good effort is automatically rewarded with a win, and a loss must mean you didn't try hard enough. i disagree - a lot.

you are just now hearing about the wings playoff streak?

they played well, and deserved a better result. to put this on them not trying hard enough - i don't understand that at all.

This site needs a "clap" smiley.

I was too hard on them after the game two nights ago. It was only a few guys who sucked and seemed not to care all that much. They deserved to win that game but didn't. I was just frustrated because I've seen it too many times this year. They still hold their destiny in their hands because they currently own the tie-breaker with the Blue Jackets. A win tonight would go along way not only in terms of points, but in confidence as well.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Who fed Mule tonight? And what did they feed him?

This was the best I've seen him play in a long time and possibly his best game this year.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

keep feeding him!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

cutter9394 at least make the Crap hawks scared. maybe steal a game or two......or maybe we can be the San Jose Sharks of '94 and shock the hockey world and steal the series. that would put a big :) on my face, at the very least make Bob sweat a little

Not scared, not sweating.   I fully expect the Hawks to win the series and I would expect the series to be 2-1 in Detroit's favor at one point or 2-2.    There will be no fear, only a sense of satisfaction and vindication after so many years.

"I'm not god, I'm not a doctor.  I'm closer to a veterinarian than a doctor"- Darryl Sutter

Thumbs up Thumbs down

well alrighty then :)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ps: good call by the three stars guy giving #1 to patrick eaves. he played a great game. i was worried about miller breaking his hand, but if eaves keeps playing like that...

and no surpirse - looked it up, it was a guy from the windsor star who picked the 3 stars. if it had been the moron from the macomb daily, they would have probably been helm, gustavsson, and lidstrom.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

EvilNeverDies wrote:

I know the Nhl doesnt track quality scoring chances, but between periods they do on the broadcast. Thats why I dont have official numbers that I looked at on NHL.com. I think the effort you guys are all pointing to wasnt there . I use the stats to  back that Opinion up . The evenness in hits and quality scoring chances , plus what I saw on the screen is what I base that opinion on . But again, this is just my opinion . I didnt see the hunger I wanted to see, thats all .
Cmon Lulzy of course  I didnt just hear about the consecutive years in the Playoffs streak . I have been following the Wings since before the streak started. I was just ok with it ending, until they started talking about it . That fired me up to keep it going . Thats all i was saying .

what stats did u actually use? u cited 2 categories, but u didn't actually produce any numbers - so i will:

vancouver outhit detroit 27 to 13. in related news, the blackhawks are 30th - dead last in the league in hits. they must be very lucky to have such a great record with all that apathy.

the wings had 24 quality chances. that's a LOT. how many did the canucks have?

the NBC crew thought the wings outplayed the canucks bigtime. the game recap on nhl.com expressed a similar thought, as did the folks on On the Fly on the nhl network. all i can figure is that you were watching a different game.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks to Dallas we'll have to sweat this out until Saturday night. Hopefully they don't want to play spoiler too much because I'm not expecting Columbus to lose at home to the worst Nashville team post-lockout (even if they start Rinne).

The Wings just need to take care of business. They only need one point to get in for sure, still an outside shot for the 7th seed if Minnesota somehow gets fewer than 3 points from Edmonton and Colorado. Lots of possibilities over the next two days, plenty of scenarios that will make Wings fans happy. I hope I won't have to get a new TV at 11pm Saturday night.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All my bandwagon Wings pals are back on after the last 2 wins. Last week it was "I don't even want them in the playoffs they'll just get swept 0-4 to Chicago!" now tonight it's "Last year an 8th seed won it all!"

Nauseating.

Thumbs up Thumbs down