Could Kirk Cousins leave the Redskins ?

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by Catfish, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Catfish

Catfish Hall-of-Fame Patreon Gold Flyers Eagles

2. igloofn68

igloofn68 M.V.P. Steelers

Must be nice paying all these backup QBs all that money because many teams think their starters.......

3. Catfish

he's too good to let walk away in my book!

4. Underdog

Underdog Franchise Player Patriots

There's no tougher spot for a team to be in than to have a QB at the end of his contract who is good but probably not really a franchise type of guy, either. They generally end up overpaying the guy (e.g., Flacco, Dalton, Tannehill, etc.) because market rate for even a middle-of-the-road QB now is 18-20MM per, and the reality is if they cut him loose, they're much more likely to end up with a significantly worse player as a replacement because QB's are so hard to find. Skins are in the same boat now...they're probably better off paying him elite QB money even if he isn't quite elite, because what's the alternative...Colt McCoy or a rookie or somebody else that's been cast off from the back end of a long-term deal they didn't live up to (yes I'm looking at you Jay Cutler)? Blech.

Teams would honestly be better served from a payroll standpoint trying to walk back the QB-friendly rule changes to the point where you can win with an average QB again so long as the rest of your team is good.

5. Catfish

u dog - but are the redskins good enough to win without cousins? i say no.

6. Underdog

Underdog Franchise Player Patriots

I don't think so, either, but the obverse is, is he good enough to get them to the next level? Or will they end up like the Bengals with Dalton and be just good enough to win ~10 games and get knocked out in the 1st round every year.

7. Catfish

good point. i wouldnt let cousins go if im washington.

8. Catfish

9. Catfish

well now he's franchise tagged...

10. Catfish

11. Catfish

a new deal seems imminent! There is a brain in the Skins front office.